Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How you got your start hunting? >

How you got your start hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How you got your start hunting?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 AM

Default How you got your start hunting?

I was reflecting to my wife last night about how my Uncle introduced me to hunting shortly after my father passed away some 20 years ago. I was 15yrs old when that fall he asked me if I would like to buy his old bow (never made me pay for it) and start bow hunting with him and my cousin (who is about 10 years older than me). Now 20 years later I am hooked, love everything about it, but more than anything I really love the campfires and story telling after a days hunt.

How did you guys and gals get your start?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Default RE: How you got your start hunting?

i was 12, my father never in my life. my neighbor took me rabbit hunting and i was hooked. now i take my boy 9 and girl 5 bowhunting in a blind with every wrong thing we can think of " food drinks, books ,candy "and it is the best 3 hunts of my year
Old 10-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I started going out with my dad when I was 10 or so. I sat right below him on my own tree stand that I helped him make (well sort of). I had a wonderful time. We camped in the landowner’s garage in a friends pop-up trailer.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:45 AM

I fish alot, but because my family is anti-gun and anti-hunting I didn't get into it until last year. Then I met some people who were hunters (my bus driver's family strangely enough) who took me along to take the course when their daughter was getting it. I only hunted last season, but this season I'm gonna hunt as much as I can on break. I'm also getting my firearms purchasers card on break, and hopefully by next season I will have gotten a shotgun, rifle, and an apartment off-campus so I can hunt the entire season at school.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 AM

My dad took me and my older brother when we were young. I was about 8-9 I guess. Should've took my first buck around this age. Forget to take the safety off!

I plan to do the same w/ my son. He is only 7 mos. old now. But, he REALLY likes to watch the deer on TV! [8D] Crossing my fingers.....
Old 10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember when I was finally old enough to go moose hunting with my Dad, I was so excited I couldn't sleep. On a similar note, yesterday I was leaving the house to go set stands and as I was putting camo pants on, my 2 1/2year old came up to me and asked "You going to shoot the deer daddy? I wanna come with". I know she doesn't fully comprehend what "shoot the deer" means but I couldn't have been prouder....
Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Cleetus

I was reflecting to my wife last night about how my Uncle introduced me to hunting shortly after my father passed away some 20 years ago. I was 15yrs old when that fall he asked me if I would like to buy his old bow (never made me pay for it) and start bow hunting with him and my cousin (who is about 10 years older than me). Now 20 years later I am hooked, love everything about it, but more than anything I really love the campfires and story telling after a days hunt.

How did you guys and gals get your start?
My Uncle was a well known Quail and Dove hunter in West Central Fl andhad no children.I was like a son to him and my father srarted to let me go with him when I was 8yrs old. Well, we had many good years in the field with the dogs and I learned from him about breeding dogs and their care. He thought me to be aShotgunner and shoot as good as him. He passed in 1984, but I have all the memories.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad took me out to the goose blind when I was 4 yrs.old (I am 57 now). Just bundled me up and sat me in the corner. He has told me I would see geese before he did. Just progressed from there to other forms of hunting. He never was a deer hunter, so I gravitated to deer hunting on my own and became addicted. Now it's just about all I do, in Michigan everything else just seems to get in the way of deer hunting due to when all the seasons start.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Lots of things got me started...

My pop pop was an advid hunter.

I walked with my step dad once who greatly impressed me by rolling cottontails one right after the other.

The farm boys talkng about shooting big bucks on the school bus.

I had a rough child hood and hunted daily as an escape. I hunted all year from age 13- 22 I hunted ground hogs and crows during the off season.
c7

Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 PM

I have hunted since age 10 with my dad and grandfather and have some of the best memories of growing up with those two.

20 years later I still enjoy getting out in the woods with my dad and look forward to having my oldest daughter along with us.

Quick Reply: How you got your start hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.