Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I missed...or did I??

Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 PM

Default RE: I missed...or did I??

no comment
Old 10-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

In my earlier post, I did not intend to ridicule but simply educate this young hunter. Please BigDeerNoFear, take the advice and learn from this situatuation. And please tell me you properly tag this deer, or atleast surrendered you antlerless deer tag. I hope you realize what you have done and learn from it.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:51 AM

Obviously you made a bad call. You should have looked for the deer. Hopefully you learned a lesson. You are right though, you shouldn't have posted it here. Too many of the people on this forum havea high and mighty attitude. They take every opportunity they have to let everyone know how ethical they are and how much of a better hunter than you they are. Get over yourselves. Mistakes happen to everyone. Hopefully this one doesn't happen to him again, but it happened. Should he give up hunting for a year, no way. Go out and try again, but make it count.

As for tagging the deer after it is rotten, I wouldn't expect you to do that. Earlier this year I shot a doe. I wasn't sure of my hit, so I let it sit over night. That is the supposed "ethical" thing to do. I found it the next mourning, but the coyotes had already shredded it. If you think I tagged it anyway, your nuts. If you can't use the deer anymore thenwhy tag it. If it makes you feel better about yourself, then you tag it.

I am glad that I don't hunt with most of you. You would take the fun out of hunting. There is a difference between having respect for your quary and just being a buch of anal retentive elitists.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, but that's wrong. You shoot a deer, you tag it, plain and simple. That's not being anal retentive. That's doing what's legal and moral and ethical. If you shoot a deer and don't tag it, and then go shoot another deer with that tag, you're a poacher.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 AM

Poacher or not, I'm not ending my season on a shredded up carcass that I can't use, let alone don't want to touch. How many of you guy's are actually practicing what you preach? Let the BS roll....

By the way, I asked a Wisconsin DNR warden and he said that he would not ticket someone for not tagging a rotten or eaten carcass. In all fairness though, he was talking about one that had been properly looked for. Even if I could get a ticket, I still wouldn't tag it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer should still be tagged and added to your season total, but I can also see where you are coming from. I have little tolerance for idiots in the field. Any moron knows to at least give some effort to see if there was a hit. I took a so called friend hunting with me a few times. I told him not to shoot a young buck. He shot a young spike thinking it was a doe. I forgave him for that. He did it again a week later saying he thought it was once again a doe. He was 50 yards from the spike, which had 8 inch spikes. Anyone could tell a spike like this from a doe at 50 yards with a high powered scope. The red flag went up this time. A week later he shot at what he said was a nice buck. He said he had missed. I asked did you look for blood. He said no. I made him look for any signs of a hit. I found the blood trail and made him follow it. It lead to you guessed it, another spike. I told him at that spot I hope you enjoyed hunting my land with me, because you will never step foot on it again. If I hadn't had been there he would have not even looked for the deer and it would have been wasted. I was too patient with him because he was a friend. I still occasionally speak with him but he will never hunt on my property again. Always look for signs of a hit. There is no excuse not to. Being a total dumbass is not an excuse. I don't think he should give up hunting, but I sure hope he learned a lesson from this. Don't let it happen again.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

Obviously you made a bad call. You should have looked for the deer. Hopefully you learned a lesson. You are right though, you shouldn't have posted it here. Too many of the people on this forum havea high and mighty attitude. They take every opportunity they have to let everyone know how ethical they are and how much of a better hunter than you they are. Get over yourselves. Mistakes happen to everyone. Hopefully this one doesn't happen to him again, but it happened. Should he give up hunting for a year, no way. Go out and try again, but make it count.

As for tagging the deer after it is rotten, I wouldn't expect you to do that. Earlier this year I shot a doe. I wasn't sure of my hit, so I let it sit over night. That is the supposed "ethical" thing to do. I found it the next mourning, but the coyotes had already shredded it. If you think I tagged it anyway, your nuts. If you can't use the deer anymore thenwhy tag it. If it makes you feel better about yourself, then you tag it.

I am glad that I don't hunt with most of you. You would take the fun out of hunting. There is a difference between having respect for your quary and just being a buch of anal retentive elitists.
I dont think the high and might attitude plays here and I don't think folks here are a bunch of anal retentive elitists. And yes, I feel most everyone here has respect for the quary. Most everyone, because I have my doubts whether to include this young hunter.

I made some harsh comments, so single me out and fire away.

I will defend my statements because I honestly feel this young hunter went beyond making a small, simple mistake - and - I still have the gut feeling he dosen't understand that andI based that on his comments.

You may say, learn from your mistake, and don't take what everyone here says to heart because they all have a high and mighty attitude.

That'san unfair statement to make.

I disagree, I say emphasize the severity of his actions or lack there of. Had this young hunter cheked to see if this deer was hit, he may have been able to put it down if it was still alive. Instead, he'll never know and a deer may have suffered an anagonizing death because he failed to simply check. We all say we owe it to the animal and this was a classic example of what not to do.

To me, that's not a simple mistake. It is breaking a cardinal rule. And becauseI was harsh in my comments, don't think for one second I have no respect for the animal I hunt and that I am not an ethical hunter.

I am sure you have respect and you are not unethical. Should I change my feelings toward you (that I don't even know) because we disagree on this subject?

I'll let you answer that question.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I may be wrong but you sound a little relaxed about the whole thing. Also depending on where you are in the country i have shot deer and waited until the next day to recover. I am howevr from Wi so the temps help out a lot. You just don't seem to be afected by you discision. You have a "oh well" attitude. I gotta to tell you that if in fact that is your mind set it really pisses me off. I can not believe you wouldn't go look. The other thing that bothers me about your story is that you say the deer was on top of a hill. I know I wouldn't take a shot with a gun if all I could see was sky behind the deer. Being responsible for your shot is a must. Hopefully that wasn't the case.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

you shoot a deer and don't tag it, and then go shoot another deer with that tag, you're a poacher.
yup he is if that's what happens, and I guess you're right fetzer. When comparing to a poacher most of the good hunters on here are high and mighty.

Besides fetzer you're talking about a different thing. If this guy showed a little different attitude and tried for recovery and still ended up with spoiled meat it's a different story.

As far as tagging it. You do what you will. If the deer carcass is found where I am from, and it was shot, there would be an investigation. If it leads back to me and my answer was "Ahh sorry officer. I really really tried super duper hard to find it but when I did the yotes had alrerady got to her so I left it there...."

Well somehow I think my hunting licence would be in jeapordy. That ain't being high and mighty and all ethical. That's just plain avoiding getting fined, licence supsended etc. etc.

I guess ifin Wisconson they have a different attitude on finding dead, shot deer in the bush then fine. Somehow I think the other Wisconson hunters on here will say that's not so at all.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

The problem with not using the tags when you kill a deer is the ptential for abuse. There may be people out there who will shoot a deer and then not tag it in order to be able to go out and shoot deer. i.e. "Darn ground shrinkage. I'm going to leave it here, and say I looked for it but couldn't find it. That way I can keep hunting for a bigger one."

Licenses and limits are a statewide management tool. What happens if a lot of people decide to start leaving their deer behind so they can shoot more?

Quick Reply: I missed...or did I??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.