Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shooting From The Ground Question >

Shooting From The Ground Question

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting From The Ground Question

Old 10-22-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Shooting From The Ground Question

This is something that I have been wondering about for sometime now. A couple years ago, my dad shot a doe while on the ground. The shot was only about 25 yards away and he thought that he made a perfect shot. Well, we looked for quite a bit and found no blood or hair at all. Turns out, we found her a couple weeks later about 100 yards away in some young pines. Similarly, this past season, my uncle shot a doe from the ground and the same thing. No blood, no hair at all. He thought that he had missed but thinking about my dad's doe, I continued to look and finally happened to run across her only about 30 yards away. Perfect shot, no blood. What I have figured is that when shooting on the ground, the exit wound is not low on the deer (like it is when shooting from a tree stand) so the blood fills up the lung cavity and can not leak out since the exit wound is high. So, here is my question--When shooting from the ground, do you aim low so that the blood will be able to leak out, or do you aim in the same place and just search for the deer without a blood trail (like I did with my uncle)?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting From The Ground Question

i have shot 2 deer from the ground since i started hunting 5 years ago and one ran maybe 50 yards with a real good blood trail and the 2 one dropped in its tracks.As a matter of fact last year i shot a doe at about 150 yards from a treestand.I got to the spot were i shot her and no blood.But i walked in the way that she ran and i found one spot of blood only about the size of a dime and i continued to follow the way she went and i found her laying there about 40 yards from were i shot her.While i was dressing her out i found out that i had a heart shot on her blew the bottom half of her heart right off.So i think that it is all on the shot placement and the situation.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 AM

I think there's some truth to that, I think the arrow is harder to find too......did they ever retrive their arrows on these shots? I shot doe from a ground blind about 10 minutes before dark with snow on the ground. I believed I had gotten pass though but since the flight path was parallel to the ground I couldn't find the arrow. I looked where the doe had run off and there were a few drops of blood, but they petered out and I had no blood trail. I looked and looked for an hour but couldn't find her, it was full dark by then............then a bud found her about 100 yards from where I had shot and where I had already searched, I must have walked right past and didn't see her....what makes it worse is that my bud, he only has one eye!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:44 AM

one should aim 'under all conditions" at the vitial. a solid hit two the vitials will always bring your deer down and will elimanate the blood trailing needed or stay on your trails hard dont give up ,a hit deer always leaves a trail the key is to not walk all over it. take your time and find the deer not in a week but hours
Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect shot, no blood.
By 'a perfect shot', I'm assuming you mean a through and through hit of both lungs as they are always the most ideal target regardless of weapon or angle. Quickest drop, best blood trails, biggest target, and biggest margin for error based on what else you can hit if you miss slightly or penetrate at a severe angle(heart, major arteries, spine, liver).No reason to aim anywhere else.

When you/he field dressed the deer, did you actually examine the internal organs to see what was hit? The lungsare actually lower and further forward than many hunters believe. If you get back more than a few inches behind the point of the forleg, you get in to the liver and stomach. If you hit the top third of the chest, you're very high in the lungs and on the verge of grabbingsome spine, or worse, 'the void' above the spine which results in a flesh wound that might not kill or leave a good blood trail.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

in CA all we hunt is on the ground... i would say always shot for vitals as that is what we do, but yes there is much less blood to be followed especially if you are on flat ground and the blood will fill up in the chest cavity...best advice is to keep and eye on the animal, find the arrow, and most importantly know your terrian.....this has helped me more then once...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulzeye....excellent commentary....quite true and new to most hunters..Thanks for spreading the word