Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

1/4 inch groups is best case senario when all the planets are alligned. I'm not claiming to shoot this every round and yes its rare but its happened several times. I can also assure you this was benchrest shooting at paper, alot different in a tree while hunting. I'm not claiming to be Carlos Hathcock either.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can shoot about 1/8 of an inch group at 400 yards... but that 1 shotAHAHHA

Good luck gettin that group out of a huntin rifle!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I would take the shot my 7mm rem mag will get there.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

d take the shot with my 300 wsm.....last year i shot my elk at 410 yards
Aren't you the same kid who sliced up his bowstring by letting sharpened broadheads roll around freely inside a bowcase during travel?
ya that would be me, but wat does that have to do with any of this??
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

out of the choices given, i selected the .300 caliber. my longest shot (which happens to be my best buck yet) was approximately 326 yards with a Weatherby .300 Magnum. since i bought my Thompson Center Pro Hunter in a .25-06, i leave that WBY at home. would i have shot that buck at 326 yards if i had my .25-06, absolutley i would have. my .25-06 is more accurate than my WBY .300 Mag. in my case i was hunting from a climbing treestand, so closing the distance was impossible. most of the terrain i hunt does not allow that far of a shot but in that case i was hunting over a large dried up pond. the deer were bedding in this pond and getting up to feed right after daylight. the dried up pond had tall sage brush which concealed the deer in most areas. you could only see them in certain spots when they would walk out of the pond area. this particular buck was chasing doe's and was not coming any closer. there was no wind and i was hunting out of a Treelounge at the time. i had a gun rest (my knee) and had practiced at that distance before. 1 shot 1 kill. that buck didn't know what hit him. once the bullet tore through him, he bedded down on the spot and expired.

i don't look for places to hunt where i can shoot long distances, however i comprimise when needed. last year i shot 3 deer and my longest shot was only 40 yards. prior to hunting season i try to prepare for any situation i may encounter. this way i am comfortable with any oppertunity that may present itself. also to answer the question, are you excited when shooting that distance...the answer is yes. i get excited when i harvest any deer at any distance. when the day comes that i am no longer excited, it will be my last day of hunting. also, before the "holier than thou" bowhunters pipe in, i use to bowhunt and was successful in doing so. over the last 10 years i have got away from bowhunting due to time restraints (work and family). i hope to get back into it this year so my hunting season will be extended another 4 weeks.