Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

my 243 wssm with 55 grain bullets drops i think drops 1 inch at 400 yards
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 AM

The shooting of a deer size target at 400 yards is not difficult with the right stuff. We spend the summers shooting wood chucks from 200-600 yards .
The point being hitting a deer with a nosler bullet from my Model 70 264 win mag with 6.5 X 20 Leupold scope is something I would look forward to.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has been mentioned several times, that shooting a deer at long range is not a challenge.

Some on here feel that hunting is all about the challenge. If they really felt this way, they should sell their high powered rifles and get Flintlock muzzleloaders. They you can preach about challenge. Hunting is more than just about challenge.

I for one, hunt for venison. I'm not a trophy hunter. A big rack is nice for bragging rights or to put on the wall but I like deer meat. I enjoy making jerky and trying new recipes.

I hunt with Rifles, muzzleloaders and archery tackle. I enjoy hunting with each weapon.

What I really like is after hunting during the archery season and seeing many deer out of range. When Rifle season rolls around, it's time to reach out and touch something.

Practice is the key to being able to shoot well at long range. Spending time thinning the groundhogpopulation, during the summer,is good practice.

It is good to see some hunters with self imposed limits but you guys need to get out and practice at longer ranges. Try shooting water filled milk and soda bottles. You might just surprise yourself on what that rifle can do out to 300-400yds.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:27 PM

i live in OH and we can only use shotguns and m/l so i wouldnt and couldnt.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: whitetailstalker14

i live in OH and we can only use shotguns and m/l so i wouldnt and couldnt.

Ditto that here in Iowa and I only have a 20ga. If I wanted to hit something at 400 yards, I'd have to aim 20 yards over it and hope for a strong tailwind!

80 yards is the upper limit of what I'd attempt and only with a clear, clean shot with little or no wind.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Youre right kdsberman, Ill let you guys post your opinions. Sorry for anyone who might have to any offence
Old 01-23-2007, 03:56 PM

300 ultra mag
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM

i think most people are not prepared for that kind of shot.i my case ive spent time on my blind building bench rests for all my windows.i have a spotting scope to judge anything before i pull the gun up.i know i'm going to hunt a 1000 acre wheat field before every season,and i practice at all ranges. i use a 300 weatherby,and have never wounded anything yet.but at that distance it is possible;you have to be confident or let it walk!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 PM

I agree, it's all about the hunter. Coming from eastern Montana, (the part not in the mountains), sometimes there isn't a tree within two miles of where you are hunting whitetail. You have to get as close as you can, and sometimes that's 30 yds, sometimes it's 400 yds. I would take the shot if I felt good about it, but I would try to get closer if I could. I would easily take a shot at 300 yds or less. Past that, it just depends.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: bullet_head

First, I wouldn't even fathom the thought of shooting a deer that far.
Second, what someone else already posted. If I wasn't a good enough hunter to get closer than 400 yards, I wouldn't bother hunting. Matter of fact, I'd give my guns away.

Third, I normally hunt with a 7mm and I've never had to shoot more than 75 yards in 10 years of gun hunting.

Fourth, I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is. 300 yards........I'd have to be damn confident and sure of myself and hope that God was watching over me and to make sure the wind was just right and I was more than 100% sure of my gun....get the picture?. 400 yards.....just plain retarded and unethical.

Finally, hell, even at 200 yards if a "huge" deer came out, I doubt very seriously I'd take the shot. I had a real nice 10pt walk out in front of my stand at 175 yards two years ago, and I didn't even raise my gun other than to look through the scope. Yes, I shoot at paper targets out to 300 yards but a paper target from the dollar store verses a live deer are two whole different worlds. Plus, I have a tremendous amount of respect for wildlife.

My point; anyone that shoots at a deer that far IMHO is an idiot and needs to have their hunting privileges taken away for life. Anyone that does that obviously doesn't have ANY respect for the animal, much less themselves. They don't care if they kill the animal, they don't care if it runs off wounded, they don't care if they completely miss. They are just worried about telling their buds at the local coffee shop the story. Its pathetic and I see these types of hunters all the time and they make me sick and I have no use for people like that.

thats good but where i hunt(alberta)if you see a good sized deer you take the shot it might be the only one you get
but i really dont like shot at deer over 200 yards

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.