Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 01-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

For me personally I would not shoot at 400 yds. There are so many minor variables that can affect the slug at that distance. I'm not saying it can't be done. I know there is the "beyond belief" boys who show this all the time. With the right equipment, much practice and ideal conditions I'm sure the shot can be made. I just don't want to do that and have the wind or something that isn't clearly visible deflect the slug and end up with a wounded animal you might not find before it'sbeen expired for a day of laying dead trying to track it down.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 AM

200 yards is not even a problem with either a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Mag so if I'm confident in my weapon and my skill and no my trajectory and can calculate the wind conditions then a 400 yard shot isn't at all out of the question, especially if it's that trophy of a life time. BTW, I am no sniper.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

I'd shoot a deer at half a mile if I had the perfect conditions.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: travisville

I'd shoot a deer at half a mile if I had the perfect conditions.
I have shot deer@ 600 yards with '06.
I have seen two peoplemake 1shot kills on deerat least 800 yards. One with '06 and one with 264WinMag
Old 01-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read through most of the responces and figured I'd weigh in with some comments.

I've taken several deer in the 300-350 yd. range with the '06.

I'm also an avid archery hunter with many deer to my credit. I can understand the "thrill" in getting close, To me, the long range shot with a rifle is not as exciting as a close up shot. The only pride I feel is making the shot with a witness or two present. I've taken a couple deer at around 350 yds while I had a fellow hunter present. They would look through their scope and say, " No way". I'd pull out the range finder and get the yardage.

They wouldn't shoot and said it was too far. I'd ask if they minded and take the shot. Their reaction is the same. They say they couldn't believe it.

I had one guy that witnessed my shot, decide to take a shot at another deer an hour later, from the same spot. I lent him my tripod and instructed him to hold over the deer just enough to see daylight. He shot and down it went.

Some guys that post against taking such shots probably don't get out and practice at long ranges. They sight their gun in at 100yds. and that's it. They don't hunt groundhogs or take any long range shots. They don't practice at any target past 100 yds. If not that is your choice but don't condem people that do.

I do agree that many guys exagerate that distance a shot actually was. I range finder takes all the guess work out of that.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: bullet_head

First, I wouldn't even fathom the thought of shooting a deer that far.
Second, what someone else already posted. If I wasn't a good enough hunter to get closer than 400 yards, I wouldn't bother hunting. Matter of fact, I'd give my guns away.

Third, I normally hunt with a 7mm and I've never had to shoot more than 75 yards in 10 years of gun hunting.

Fourth, I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is. 300 yards........I'd have to be damn confident and sure of myself and hope that God was watching over me and to make sure the wind was just right and I was more than 100% sure of my gun....get the picture?. 400 yards.....just plain retarded and unethical.

Finally, hell, even at 200 yards if a "huge" deer came out, I doubt very seriously I'd take the shot. I had a real nice 10pt walk out in front of my stand at 175 yards two years ago, and I didn't even raise my gun other than to look through the scope. Yes, I shoot at paper targets out to 300 yards but a paper target from the dollar store verses a live deer are two whole different worlds. Plus, I have a tremendous amount of respect for wildlife.

My point; anyone that shoots at a deer that far IMHO is an idiot and needs to have their hunting privileges taken away for life. Anyone that does that obviously doesn't have ANY respect for the animal, much less themselves. They don't care if they kill the animal, they don't care if it runs off wounded, they don't care if they completely miss. They are just worried about telling their buds at the local coffee shop the story. Its pathetic and I see these types of hunters all the time and they make me sick and I have no use for people like that.

dude if you dont take shots past 75 yards why do you have a 7mm?

Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 AM

If you could shoot a deer that far, hunting wouldn't be a challenge anymore. That would be bull.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Christensen arms custom one 308 warbird longest shot well over 400. Didn't take a step. On video shot at 383doesn't even take a second thought. If you cant shoot dontif you can do. Who is anyone to say that its wrong or that thier better. Not everyone can play pro ball and most people cant shoot those ranges but just because you cant dont knock those that can. It doesn't make you a better hunter. Get off your soap box and go to the range.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:25 AM

I've taken one whitetail at close to 400 yards. I had bene practiceing all summer and fall long at shooting longer distances. Working on form and and squeezeing the trigger. The gun I shot him with was a 243 savage varmit gun. Very very accurate.There was very little wind. I was actually laying on my back, on the back side of a farm pond dam with the gun propped up against a tree for a rest. In other words I was rock solid and knew that if I did my part that deer was going no where. Which is exactly what happened. The bullet destroyed one front shoulder and the lungs. Would I take that shot again? Yes if I had been practiceing like I was all summer and had that rock solid rest with little to no wind. Without a rock solid rest there is no way in hell I would even consider a long range shot. Only under special circumstances. There was also no way in hell to get closer to that deer. In some locations, especially out west or in the midwest. Shooting longer ranges becomes part of hunting and is widely accepted. This is because there is simply no way to get closer to the animals. You go book a elk, mule deer, or antelope out west, (depending on your location), your guide may very well expect you to shoot to 300 yards.

Not everyone should attempt a long range shot. I think we all agree on that. I do belive if you KNOW you can make that shot then its up to you if you want to take it. One must know thier limitations and abide by those.I bow hunted for years and had to quit due to health issues. I will say I get way more of an adrenline rush from haveing the critters close than shooting them at 400 yards.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:32 AM

25-06 Rem....good flat shooting, with little bullet drop even at 400yds...

If the conditions where just right and I had a chance at a "monster" I might would try...

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.