Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:27 PM

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

Coming on here and saying that people that take shots 400 yards and more should have their license taken away is just a stupid way to look at things. Just because you dont doesnt give you the right to bash everyone that does. Me personally have taken deer out to 600 yards and will do it again if given the chance. I'll also admit that its not something everyone should do because I know people that couldnt hit the broadside of a barn standing inside it.If you know your rifle good enough and how to adjust for wind then take the shot your confident with. There is nothing unethical about it unless you havent practiced and are just shooting to see if you can hit it. Sorry for the long post it just pisses me off when fellow hunters bash others because they think everyone should hunt and do things the same way they do.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

400 yard shots in Wyoming are not all that uncommon.................
Haha, Wyotg, I was thinking the same thing. Not a lot of late season antelope and mule deer hunters on there are there?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

So your saying that shooting at longer distances thanme have no respect for the game in which they pursue, don't follow up on the shots they have made or attempted, is ok to do???
NOT at all but rather a remark to your original post(quote below). Youwere assuming those who may take a longer shots don't respect the game or follow up on their shots, etc. I was stated this is assumption on your part, which isn't fair nor true. I personally have never not followed up on a shot I have made or attempted it is the my responsibility as hunter to do so. I pride myself on ethics, respecting game and sheer love of this sport/the animalsI pursue. Who are you to tell me I'm nor ethical, respectful or shouldn't be in the woods hunting??

My point; anyone that shoots at a deer that far IMHO is an idiot and needs to have their hunting privileges taken away for life. Anyone that does that obviously doesn't have ANY respect for the animal, much less themselves. They don't care if they kill the animal, they don't care if it runs off wounded, they don't care if they completely miss. They are just worried about telling their buds at the local coffee shop the story. Its pathetic and I see these types of hunters all the time and they make me sick and I have no use for people like that.

I never said anything about anyone "being" on a different level than anyone else. I've got more shooting skill than your average hunter, I was in the marines for 18 years!!! Weshoot at barrels with open sites at 500 yards!!! Now to address your statement, if a hunter has skill enough to shoot a deer at 400 yards does that mean he should take it? NO, longer distances allow a greater chance of error. At 400 yards a a slight breeze will throw your shot off.
No I did, just an example of skills that a hunter my use but not all will be mastered by the masses.

[blockquote]quote:

I said I would take the shot only after everything was checked off the list, meaning it was a calculated desicion not a "hope and prayer".[/blockquote]

Now your starting to sound like you have some sense.

[blockquote]quote:

I have taken game at 400 yards but far more have been shot at 200 and under. I practice at distance but when I set up on game I try to make it a chip shot vs 50 yard field goal! [/blockquote]

I had some guys in my unit that went on to sniper school and I still keep in touch with them to this day. even they wouldn't take a shoot at a deer at 400 yards. You must be quiet the marksman.
I don't consider myself "quiet the marksman" however I practice a lot, know my abilities/limitations and equipment. I never take a shot that I am not 100% sure I can make, they are a calculated desicions. If one thing is missing off my checklist the deer,antelope, elk, moose,etc gets a walkingpass no if, and or but!!!

[blockquote]quote:

I have to ask you say you practice to 300 yards but yet you wouldn't shoot to 200, why?[/blockquote]

I practice because I can and its my free will to do so. I may practice at 500 yards, what does it matter? It doesn't..

[blockquote]quote:

If I am not going to use a 300 yard shot I would see no use in practicing it.[/blockquote]

Why in the hell not, do you not like to have fun when shooting? do you not like to see how far you can hit the target (PAPER), that makes no sense to me. Of course not alot in this thread does make much sense to me either.

[blockquote]quote:

My mentality of practice is to simulate hunting situations and to determine my ability to set forth standards or conditions to adhere to when I get to the field. I know I will not take a shot of 300 yards without a solid rest, b/c in practice my results were less than desirable. I haveto much respect for the sport and game to let greed or a heat of the moment desicion cloud my judgement, through practice I know my abilities and when not to pull the trigger. Some don't shoot on whims, to make noiseor hunt for others opinions or to sound/be cool. I would not beany more impressed by a guy who told me he shot his buck at400 yards than a guy who shot is at 10 steps by sneaking up on him in his bed. Congrats to both for being able to harvest their animals with skill and effiecency within their own parameters. I have seen as many misses or poor shots in close asI have at distance. Many reasons such as not picking a spot but animal shooting, inability to control emotions (buck fever, rushing the shot,etc), inexperience, poor shot selection, etc. [/blockquote]

Ok so my point is this; if your 100/100 at 400 yards, the wind is perfect, you'd bet your life you could do it, you could go to some type of military marksmanship school and blow all of the cadets out of the water, you have perfect light, no burrs or anything on your shell, your barrel is super clean and you think you can take it..............this is where we differ. I still wouldn't take the shoot because 99 times out of a 100 you may hit it but there’s that one chance and at 400 yards, that one chance turns into a big chance that your going to fk it up and miss or worse, wound the animal. That’s why I won't, nor will I ever shoot out that far. My own personal for DEER HUNTING is no further than 100 yards. thats because killing a deer for meat or for bragging rights, isn't so important to me that I have to risk that 1 out of 100 chance to wound or miss. Does that mean I can't shoot further than that? To you, you'd assume that, but in reality, no it doesn't. I'm not willing to risk wounding an animal.
HeyI was just curious thats all. I already statedI practice to simulate hunting so noI don't shoot at ranges just to see ifI can hit it. Part of this practice is actually getting out in field conditions(off a concrete range bench)and shooting at different ranges/conditions soI can set forth my limitation for hunting. This would include taking in account wind drift, etc

Does that mean I can't shoot further than that? To you, you'd assume that, but in reality, no it doesn't. I'm not willing to risk wounding an animal.
I never assumed anything..you have been. LikeI stated abovejust curious, thanks for abliging me.

My "blind" assumptions come from 15 plus years of being around idiots that think they can take the shoot. I've seen it too many times. It doesn't matter what you or anyone else says or how many people reply to this thread and say they would do it and they practice and practice etc, I still think its poor hunting ethics.
I don't consider myself an expert being this is only my 26year hunting big game and Itoo have seen my share of idiots as well but I will not paint everyone with the same brush.

Your welcome to your opinions but expect a rebutal every now and again from those who just don't consider themselves idiots or low on the ethics pole. I have no issues with what you deem as acceptable for your hunting/shooting/etc. Good for you for sticking to your own standrads its a personal sport so all that matters is you. However please don't question mine with assumptions or demeaning remarks b/c you don't have a sniff about me, my abilities or passion. I take this sport very seriously, it is really an addiction if you will, as hunting season is a 12 month a thing for me not a day, week or month.

Have a good one
Old 10-23-2006, 04:10 AM
Dominant Buck

and for 300-400yds the 7mmMag with the same scopes, but them days are over for these worn out eyes.
Rebel Hog

Thanks Reb....When I buy my nest gun I'll keep that in mind for sure 7MM. Looks like those on the POLL agree too.
I got a stupid question.Would the 7MM be good for short ranges too??
C7
Old 10-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

I shot my mule deer buck last year at 389 yards with a .270 and dropped him in his spot.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

and for 300-400yds the 7mmMag with the same scopes, but them days are over for these worn out eyes.
Rebel Hog

Thanks Reb....When I buy my nest gun I'll keep that in mind for sure 7MM. Looks like those on the POLL agree too.
I got a stupid question.Would the 7MM be good for short ranges too??
C7
Chuck, my driveway is 1200ft (400yds) and it's a piece of cake for the 7mmMag!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 AM

"I would be hard pressed to poke out that far. Off a bench, yes I would consider it. Out ofa stand with out a proper rest, no, can’t say I would. I do regularly shoot 250 out of a stand and don’t see a problem with that distance. Basically it comes down to what you are comfortable with. We really don’t need this to become a pissing match. Keep your cool all."

Now that's the most sensible post on this thread....

Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a semi related question to this topic...

For you people that shoot deer at 400 yards or greater, do you get satisfaction out of it? Do you get the adrenaline rush that you get having them up close? Do you get the same heart pound?

At 400 yards you could do jumping jacks, fart, talk, etc.... before you take the shot. When they are inside say 100 yards, you obviously have to be more calculating in your movements. You have to pick and choose the right time as you know. The closer they are the more it matters.

Seems to me that a 400 yard shot would be pointless because I would get zero gratification from it. I'd say if you want to use your skill as a marksman go to the range and do it. If you want to use your skill as a hunter, get them closer.

Just my opinion. I'm not trying to start another debate here. I seriously want to know the if there is satisfaction pertaining to "the hunt" with shots at that range. I have no idea what it's like because the longest shot I've ever taken at a deer was probably 70 yards with a shotgun.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Huntin Girl

"I would be hard pressed to poke out that far. Off a bench, yes I would consider it. Out ofa stand with out a proper rest, no, can’t say I would.
Ah, got to have a stand with Rifle rest! Or be in the sitting or prone position and havea good scope.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally won't shoot that far but that is because my equipment and ability prohibit it. I watched a show recently on some guys that were hunting yotes at 700+ yards. They had a flat shooting gun with a large heavy barrel and a ranging scope. They did a yardage check on the target, dialed in their scopes and shot from a bipod and dropped the yotes like a stone. The longer shots were what they were looking for and their sport was made better by the fact that they could. My hat is off to them for their ability.

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.