Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

I would use my trusty Ruger .44Mag carbine....No problemo!

I have consistently shot deer at 40 yds and even once atalmost 50.

Oh, it said 400 yds....... nevermind.

Seriously...answer = no shot.

I never practice at that distance. My greatest distance was 70 yds with my M/L.

All other deer were taken well within 40 yds.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 PM

Last year, as we were skinning a deer a friend killed, there was a comotion in my dads cow pasture. I grabbed my A-bolt .300 win mag and went to check it out. I topped a hill, and a pack of dogs bolted through a tree line into an open field. I sprinted fifty yards to get to the tree line, propped a hand on the tree trunk and laid my riffle over my hand. The pack stopped at 300 yards, where I dropped one. They ran, and stopped again at 500 yards, where I dropped another.

I would have no trouble shooting at a deer at 400 yards with that riffle.

*Disclaimer: A lot of people do not like killing dogs. This particular pack had recently killed a calf of my dads.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:49 PM

7mm STW. Killed one out at 500 with it before.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I find it amusing how some posters judge others abilities based on their own abilities.Just because you don't have the skill to make a 400 yard shot doesn't mean that no one else does.I hunt deer with the 7mmstw,and I practise regularly to 500 yards.I use a laser rangefinder so yardage estimation is not a factor.With a solid rest and a favorable wind,I would have no problems shooting big game to 500 yards.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM

I would use any of them except the .243....

For me to take a 400 yard shot at a game animal the conditions would need to be near ideal and I would have to feel real comfortable. I tend to stick with the notion of not taking a shot you can't see hair on.

I shoot a lot of highpower and long range from the 600 yard line but shooting at a game animal is different.

My longest good oppurtunity was at an antelope I took at 320 yards with a 270WSM.

Every hunter and shooter has to make his own decision based on his skills and then live with the outcome.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Most shots out west for antelope are at least 300 yard shots.
If you practice, practice, and practice, know your ammo, your gun, and the surrounding conditions, it isn't that hard to reach out and touch them.
My longets gun shot at a deer was 246 yards according to my trusty range finder. He dropped in his tracks. If you aren't comfortable with long shots then by all means don't take them. But to say people that do are morons is ridiculous.
Good luck to you.
Mac
Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

And what do rifle buyers want?
[ol][*]Accuracy: a rifle is supposed to hit a small target at a long distance. For instance, the “vitals” of a whitetail deer are only 8 to 10 inches in diameter, and sometimes such game is shot at distances as long as 500 yards.[*]Durability: a rifle is generally regarded as something that can be passed down to one’s children without needing major repairs. Note: most WWI rifles produced are still very much usable, in spite of their century-old status.[*]Reliability: a rifle must function. With the tremendous expense often associated to big-game hunts, a rifle must do its part when the chips are down.[*]Good cartridges: game must be brought down effectively and humanely. Fortunately, all rifle manufacturers offer rifles in good, proven cartridges.[*]Aesthetics: a rifle is often seen as an object of pride and a carrier of tradition. Good wood, polished metal and clean lines are therefore important.[*]Good sighting systems. While earlier rifles were shot with open sights, now the norm is scopes. Scopes are not integral part of the rifle. Therefore, the “attachment” systems must be rock-solid and be as accurate, durable and reliable as the whole ensemble.[*]Value. [/ol]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm-08 will knock em down i have a buddy with 250 to 300 yard shots regularly on a clear cut and knocks em down everyime so not unethical at all
Old 10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

M24 weapon of choice Leupold Mil-Dot, scope

My furthest kill was 867meters 20"x40" steel plate

400 yds would be a walk in the park
Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to start by talking about some of my hunting buddies around where I live. I set up targets for them to shoot at my house its the place to slght in as they say. Last year just to see there reaction I put targets out to 400 yards. They all said the same thing when they pulled up, How far is that 1000 yards, I am not saying everyone is that way but they all are. There are some great marksmen in the deer hunting world around here the claims of 500 yard shots are rampid !!! Some even with a 30-30 with open sights. I am by no means saying it cant be done cause I am sure it has.
I am practicing to shoot long range competitions And I can tell you after 300 yards with out proper scope crosshairs it starts to cover the target real fast. Now I now I am not the best shot in the world but I shoot alot. I am having a hard time just keeping my groups under 4 feet at 800 yards. It is very disappointing to drive to your target and there is a unaccounted bullet,and that is on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.I know my hunting buddies dont mount the scopes that it would reqire to make those shots. They dont even know what alapping tool is used for, or scope alining tools.Even though they would try, these are the same oneswho at 100 yards shoota 4 in group and say that will kill a deer. I would take the shoot from my stand cause I have actually practiced from there at that range. I know that sounds silly but I like real world experinces. I am an exArmy Ranger and I to have went to sniper school. (That is a great experence to have. ) I was tought some great shooting techniques .I like using the skills I was taught from my father and the army to try and place myself closer to my targets (ie; deer ).Would I try that shot -Hell yes cause I know my round and my abilities. Would I say anybody Hell no not the average hunter in my area. Here is my .220 swift targrt at 100 yards

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.