Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 AM

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

Heck, I don't even like taking a 100 yard shot. LOL

Things will change now, I've got a bigger scope, better bullets, etc... but I shoot with a muzzleloader, and if I shot more than 150 yards, I'd have to be shooting across two other landowner's land... not an option for me. If I were going out West for larger game on the open range, I'd buy me a gun that could handle 250 and I'd practice my little toosh off until I was 100% confident in taking it. I don't think I would even *consider* a shot over 250, even if I practiced at 300 or even 400. My vision isn't that good and I just wouldn't take the chance of not being able to pinpoint the exact spot I shot the deer trying to pick up a trail.

If you hunt an area that accomodates long shots, you have the proper equipment, and you can't get any closer, good for you. I have no problems with someone ELSE doing it, it just isn't for me.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:25 PM

However to make asumptions and allegationsthat those who may shoot at longer distances than you have no respect for the game in which they pursue, don't follow up on the shots they have made or attempted, reason for taking such a shot and so forth...is a idiotic and the wrongthing to say IMHO.
So your saying that shooting at longer distances thanme have no respect for the game in which they pursue, don't follow up on the shots they have made or attempted, is ok to do???

while it maybe on a different level to you both require patients, practice and are not accomplished by all hunters (skill).
I never said anything about anyone "being" on a different level than anyone else. I've got more shooting skill than your average hunter, I was in the marines for 18 years!!! Weshoot at barrels with open sites at 500 yards!!! Now to address your statement, if a hunter has skill enough to shoot a deer at 400 yards does that mean he should take it? NO, longer distances allow a greater chance of error. At 400 yards a a slight breeze will throw your shot off.

I hunt on the ground so how would you feel if I said treestand hunting is for those who can't hunt game at eye level?
Apples to oranges.

If you use a gun and hunt in a tree you are a poor hunter and have no business being in the woods, fields, etc!!!
No, but if you shoot at a deer at 400 yards IMHO one doesn't have any business in the woods. He should have his license to think taken away as well.

I don't feel this way but it would be a pretty idiotic thing for me to say based only on the fact I prefer to hunt on the ground b/c of mobility and the areas I hunt.
Do whatever you choose and feel comfortable with.

I said I would take the shot only after everything was checked off the list, meaning it was a calculated desicion not a "hope and prayer".
Now your starting to sound like you have some sense.

I have taken game at 400 yards but far more have been shot at 200 and under. I practice at distance but when I set up on game I try to make it a chip shot vs 50 yard field goal!
I had some guys in my unit that went on to sniper school and I still keep in touch with them to this day. even they wouldn't take a shoot at a deer at 400 yards. You must be quiet the marksman.

I have to ask you say you practice to 300 yards but yet you wouldn't shoot to 200, why?
I practice because I can and its my free will to do so. I may practice at 500 yards, what does it matter? It doesn't..

If I am not going to use a 300 yard shot I would see no use in practicing it.
Why in the hell not, do you not like to have fun when shooting? do you not like to see how far you can hit the target (PAPER), that makes no sense to me. Of course not alot in this thread does make much sense to me either.

My mentality of practice is to simulate hunting situations and to determine my ability to set forth standards or conditions to adhere to when I get to the field. I know I will not take a shot of 300 yards without a solid rest, b/c in practice my results were less than desirable. I haveto much respect for the sport and game to let greed or a heat of the moment desicion cloud my judgement, through practice I know my abilities and when not to pull the trigger. Some don't shoot on whims, to make noiseor hunt for others opinions or to sound/be cool. I would not beany more impressed by a guy who told me he shot his buck at400 yards than a guy who shot is at 10 steps by sneaking up on him in his bed. Congrats to both for being able to harvest their animals with skill and effiecency within their own parameters. I have seen as many misses or poor shots in close asI have at distance. Many reasons such as not picking a spot but animal shooting, inability to control emotions (buck fever, rushing the shot,etc), inexperience, poor shot selection, etc.
Ok so my point is this; if your 100/100 at 400 yards, the wind is perfect, you'd bet your life you could do it, you could go to some type of military marksmanship school and blow all of the cadets out of the water, you have perfect light, no burrs or anything on your shell, your barrel is super clean and you think you can take it..............this is where we differ. I still wouldn't take the shoot because 99 times out of a 100 you may hit it but there’s that one chance and at 400 yards, that one chance turns into a big chance that your going to fk it up and miss or worse, wound the animal. That’s why I won't, nor will I ever shoot out that far. My own personal for DEER HUNTING is no further than 100 yards. thats because killing a deer for meat or for bragging rights, isn't so important to me that I have to risk that 1 out of 100 chance to wound or miss. Does that mean I can't shoot further than that? To you, you'd assume that, but in reality, no it doesn't. I'm not willing to risk wounding an animal.

don't make blind assumptions based on the only way you've done it or some local coffee row doof who probably missed at 100 yards but figured it sounded better to say it was 4 hun instead!
My "blind" assumptions come from 15 plus years of being around idiots that think they can take the shoot. I've seen it too many times. It doesn't matter what you or anyone else says or how many people reply to this thread and say they would do it and they practice and practice etc, I still think its poor hunting ethics.

The military has been using.308s and 30-06sfor decades to shoot people at ranges much further than 400 yds. Hell, they're expected to hit targets consistently at 500 with iron sights. Don't tell me I can't hita deer at that range with a faster, flatter shooting rifle with a 22 power scope on it.
Apples to oranges. These "military" guys you speak of have been to sniper school and went through many months of training. They are far better shots than the average joe hunter. Having a human in your sights and a deer in your sights are two very different things. Even having a deer in your sites and having a paper target in your sites are also two VERY different things.These guys could take your head off at 1000 yards with a .22 if they so desired. They are trained killers because they don't want to be killed. Is a deer going to kill you? NO. Is a deer worth wounding because you think you can shoot at 400 yards like the "military" guys do? NO This isn't the army, you’re not a sniper, your an average joe hunter who wishes to kill a deer. Your life isn't depending on the fact that you must kill that deer at 400 plusyards. Its just plain silliness and not worth the risk.

Bottom line, I won't do it because it ain't worth it. If I do have the skill, orif I don't have the skill, it doesn't matter, this is where respect for the game comes in to play. Its not worth the RISK, weather or not I can fkn do it or not, DOESN'T REALLY MATTER ITS RESPECT FOR THE GAME, I AM NOT WILLING TO RISK IT JUST TO KILL A DEER. thats my oppinion on it and I'm done.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:52 PM

Bottom line, I won't do it because it ain't worth it. If I do have the skill, orif I don't have the skill, it doesn't matter, this is where respect for the game comes in to play. Its not worth the RISK, weather or not I can fkn do it or not, DOESN'T REALLY MATTER ITS RESPECT FOR THE GAME, I AM NOT WILLING TO RISK IT JUST TO KILL A DEER. thats my oppinion on it and I'm done.

there ., now that is how you should have said it the first time.,IMHO

Old 10-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't put all the guys that went to sniper school in one boat. we get together once a month and shoot eggs at 400 and 500 yards and beleave me we will take a 400 yards shot in a min. In the school you learn to kill a man with one shot at 500 yards so whats the big deal with deer.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:17 PM

so whats the big deal with deer.
PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE IDIOTS THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT THAT SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO HUNT.

we get together once a month and shoot eggs at 400 and 500 yards and beleave me we will take a 400 yards shot in a min
Ok there, good job. I get together with my buds and we shoot fleas off the backs of frogs at 3000 plus yars. As I said many times incase you missed it. so I doubt you do shoot eggs at thatrange because you can't even see the words "ability or skill" 2 feet infront of you, or however close your nose is to the screen. Its not ability/skill I am talking about, its respect for the animal. From your ignorant statement "whats the big deal with deer" you have no respect for the animal. "whats the big deal with deer" LOL your a jackass. thats the worse attitude I've ever heard. ..................."whats the big deal with deer".......................HAHAHAHA
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you have went to the bottom and are acting like a spoiled 2 year old who did'nt get his way. You go to the bottom of the barrel and start calling people names. Which means you have nothing else inportant to say. I was stating a FACT about shooting eggs I guess if you are not good enough to do it no one else can A typacal man trying to build your self up to look good But you are just one more low life trying to feal good about yourself.grow up and stop fealing sorry foreself. Keep trying you will get to be a better shoot.

That ends this thread for me I don't have time to talk to mineless people like you. bullet head.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:46 PM

Watch him walk away. Did that last year and he came back by around 75 yards the next morning. He's on my wall and I didn't wound him...

Old 10-22-2006, 07:04 PM

400 yard shots in Wyoming are not all that uncommon.................
Old 10-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

I would be hard pressed to poke out that far. Off a bench, yes I would consider it. Out ofa stand with out a proper rest, no, can’t say I would. I do regularly shoot 250 out of a stand and don’t see a problem with that distance. Basically it comes down to what you are comfortable with. We really don’t need this to become a pissing match. Keep your cool all.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.