Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what slugs group the best?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:00 PM

Default what slugs group the best?

I have a rem870 12 gauge slug gun that i just got and i was wondering what slugs group the best at 100yds??
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what slugs group the best?

that there is a pretty much open-ended question. I would recommend starting out trying the 2-3/4" Remington Sluggers if you have a smooth-bore barrel. If you have a rifled barrel I would recommend the 2-3/4" RemingtonBuckHammers.

BuckHammers may shoot well out of the smooth-bore also but I don't know anyone who uses them in a smooth-bore.

I think those should shoot pretty decent. When you get the results in, then you can try all kinds of different slugs and start plowing thru the money.

Every gun is or can be different. Only thru alot of trial-and-error can you find the ultimate slug and I wish you and your shoulder luck.

My personal favorite slugs come from Brenneke.

www.brennekeusa.com

Old 10-17-2006, 09:13 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: erichixs5543

I have a rem870 12 gauge slug gun that i just got and i was wondering what slugs group the best at 100yds??
Give lightfields a try. They seem to group out of any sluggun I have tried. Second, try 2 3/4" copper solids. Work great for me out of 870's and my gold sluggun.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:38 PM

Great question! The federal sabots work well for me in my Mossy rifled barrel.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 PM

A follow up question to my recent reply: what are the advantages to the sabot slugs compared to the other slugs? I have noticed that the sabots are much more expensive. Are they really worth the price?

I'm fairly new to hunting as well. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 AM

The sabots only work in a rifled barrel, if you have a smooth bore you'll need to use rifled slugs. Be it sabots or rifled slugs if you ask 10 people what the best are you'll get 10 different answers......each shotgun is going to be different and will like different slugs or sabots....just the way it is because of the different variables.I've got two 870s and a Saiga I use for deer, the smoothbore 870 groups best with Winchester Ranger Low Recoil LE 1 oz slugsbut will do well with Bennekes too, and the Saiga likes Bennekes, while the one with a Hastings rifled barrel likes Hornady SST300 grain copper sabots. Opinions differ slighly on therange but for me anything past 75 yards is pushing it for a smoothbore slug while with Sabots with a rifled barrel can be effective to 150 or even 200 yards (but there's a 6 inch drop at 200). Were I you I would buy 3 or 4 boxes of the most popular loads and see which groups best, use that and make sure you stay inside your range limitations. [/align][/align]If you have a smoothbore and need more range you can always upgrade. I got an 870 from the bargin rack at a local gun shop, refinished it with Brownells baking laquer, put a new Choat stock on it, installed a Hastings rifled barrel (on sale from SportmansGuide for $143) with an extended scope mount and threw a Nikon prostaff scope on it, I was going to pin the barrel but it was accurate enough I didn't need to....I can take a deer at 200 yards with it, which is saying something for a shotgun....I live in MD and other than muzzle loader youcan only use a rifle on the Eastern shore.
.[/align]
Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: erichixs5543

Give lightfields a try. They seem to group out of any sluggun I have tried. Second, try 2 3/4" copper solids. Work great for me out of 870's and my gold sluggun.
I'm with Big Country on this one. Lightfields worked very well for me.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 AM

I also agree with danscott & big county. I shoot an 870 with a rifled barrel. I've tried at least a fewdifferent slugs and the 2 3/4"lightfields do the best for me.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

That's like asking which gas doesyour truck perform better with!Partner, you have to see which loads your weapon likes best. Pick up5 or 6 brands and see which groups better with different loadings of Bullets and orShotgun Shells!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you duplicate your actual field conditions(hunting);

Cool Clean barrel - not warm or hot from firing 3-4-5 rounds in rapid succession.May start getting flyers with a Warm - Hot barrel.

If shooting sabots - I clean barrel every 3rd round - max.
My 870 (rifled slug barrel) gets wild and crazy after 3 rounds of sabots.
Straightens out after good cleaning and cooled down.

I'm using the hornady SST in my 870.Took a nice buck last year at about 85yrds.They shoot very well out of that barrel - Very impressed - But Pricey!

I just purchased 2 boxes for my 20g but have not sighted in yet.

You can very easily spend $25-$30 on various brands to get that slug slinger tuned in at 100 yrds.Don't try to sight in at 100yrds.

About 1" high at 50yrds should get you dead on at 100.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: what slugs group the best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.