HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does rain wash away scent? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/160329-does-rain-wash-away-scent.html)

tazman7 10-18-2006 07:53 AM

Does rain wash away scent?

Yesterday I got mad and went and bought a new ladder treestand- and we set it up in what we think is a good spot- of course..

Well the only way that we could get it up into the tree was cut two huge branches off- it would have been way to much work with a handsaw so we just used a chain saw- I know it is a little late in the year to do this but if it rains will it wash all of the fumes/human scent away?? How long does human scent stick around?

We have been moving around back there quite a bit but they are still using it because there are new rubs everyday it seems like...

I will take some pictures of my stands and see what you guys think..

bassfisherman711 10-18-2006 08:14 AM

RE: Does rain wash away scent?

the rain should wash it all away real easy...if you give it a few days, most of the scent will be gone and you should be good to go

tazman7 10-18-2006 08:18 AM

Awesome- thanks

I was kinda scared that the gasoline/oil fumes would make those suckers run like the wind...

We did see an 8 pointer yesterday- he was a dumb one too- we drove my truck back there, accidentally dropped my ladder stand out of my truck looked over and he was bedded down 60 yards from us like nothing was going on...oh well...easier on me

uncle matt 10-18-2006 08:20 AM

IMO - nothing to worry about. Don't know what kind of tree you trimmed the branches off of but deer will eat the leaves off of alot of high trimmings they usually can't reach - they may be there now.

Go get 'cha one!

heeze gutshot shortee 10-18-2006 08:33 PM

taz...how much rain you get is important...chainsaw gas/oil..deer can handle..human scent is what gets ya busted......i recommend using rubber gloves and rubber boots whenever in the woods....if that 8pt were truly dumb..he would be hanginfrom a tree..right???

Greg / MO 10-18-2006 08:44 PM

yep, rain and high winds are the perfect time to hang stands.

tazman7 10-18-2006 08:45 PM

well today and yesterday were perfect then, about an inch of rain last night and rained pretty much all day today

Grasshopper13 10-19-2006 03:30 AM

Here in southern missouri, logging is a pretty big business. All year the deer here are running into loggers and their chainsaws, so the effects are minimal. In fact, a hunting buddy of mine, actually swears the deer where he hunts seek out the areas that loggers leave behind minutes after they're gone. He killed a nice 10 point buck a couple years ago that actually came by his stand an hour or so after the loggers cleared out. Just like someone else mentioned, the deer was after the trimmings from the tops of the trees.

Good luck!

GH

tazman7 10-19-2006 06:28 AM

Damn...maybe I just setup a gold mine then...

Red Lion 10-19-2006 06:53 AM

Rain will wash away the sinsof the earth, or stink of man in this case.