Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic tip for deer?

Old 11-13-2002, 10:13 PM

Default Ballistic tip for deer?

I was thinking of using ballistic tip ammo for my deer hunt this year. I want to know what the difference is from other bullet types?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ballistic tip for deer?

Last year there were a few in our camp that wanted to try those pretty bullets, but I doubt this year there will be any around. I tried them a few years ago, and did not like the exploding tendencies of the ballistic tips (I had some of the Winchester brand). I had rather have a good inter-loc or something similar. One guy shot a freak headed buck with a .257 ballistic tip in the shoulder and the deer ran off. A few weeks later he shot the same deer and killed it. When dressing the deer there was the exploded bullet, complete with the red tip on the bone. A couple of others shot bucks (mostley .270's and 7mm) and had them run off into beaver ponds or off the property and could not recover the deer. These are guys that have killed hundreds of deer. Some will swear by them and some will swear at them. I don't like them because in my opinion there are better made bullets.

Old 11-14-2002, 08:07 AM

I use winchester supreme ballistic silvertips in the 130 grain .270. I have never had any problems, but to each his own.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-14-2002, 09:13 AM

I also have used the Winchester Supreme Silver Ballistic Tip and have had great success. I shoot a 30 06 with a 150 grain bullet. I shot a deer this year that you could stick both fists in the exit wound.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:02 AM

its a quick-expanding (or exploding depending on how fast its going) bullet made to shoot thin-skinned game in the lungs and heart. this is not a shoulder busting round so dont be dumb and try for that. go heart and lungs and you will get your deer

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only rifle round I have used in all my years is cor-loks, I refuse to change unless they quit making them. Pinky hole in, 4 inch hole out, it will bust through a shoulder blade in a heart beat, for me it works, I will not change for the good of the deer and my freezer. I am not saying there are not other ammo types out there as good, I am sure there are, but I refuse to use a deer as a test bed.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-14-2002, 11:27 AM

SMITTY: I shoot that exact same round out of my .270. No problems here either. Dropped a doe in her tracks on opening weekend. She didn't budge.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:56 AM

I have never had any trouble using cor-loks so I don't plan on changing to anything else to each their own. Haven't lost a deer with them yet.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 140 grain ballistic tips that I reload for my 7mm mag. They are the most accurate bullet I have found. I havn't lost a deer with them but they usually run between 40 and 70 yards. I tried them in a .243 a few years ago and that really sucked. Huge entrance hole, I'm talking about blowing skin off the ribs in an 8 inch circle but very little other damage. The deer went along ways and finally run off a bluff fell into a creek and drowned.
Next year, I'm going to try some barnes bullets to see if I can get the same accuracy.

Old 11-14-2002, 02:10 PM

140 grain ballistic tips last year (270 weatherby). Switched to 140 grain Barnes X after two experiences.

First - I shot at a buck and hit a prickly pear(or cactus to you non -Texans)that I did not see. The bullet completely blew up. I found jacket pieces on the cactus leaves behind the one that was hit. I became skeptical of the ability of the bullet to hold together at shorter ranges if large bone was hit.

Second - Shot a doe late in the season last year. Shot placement was perfect heart aand lungs shot. Entry hole was enlarged and bullet hand come to pieces as there were 3 distinct wound channels on the way out. This was with a slight hit on the near side rib.

I hunt in Texas with small body sizes compared to most places, but I did not feel comfortable taking out both front shoulders of a good buck with this bullet. I shoot any trophy animal through the front shoulder as I want to ensure that there is little to no trailing. i harvest most does and culls with high neck shots(and no I don't want to open that can of worms again). I have now switched to the Barnes X and judging from the buck I shot last week they will hold up to hitting major bones. JMO

Later
Gone_Huntin

Quick Reply: Ballistic tip for deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.