Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Can anyone give some advice to a new hunter? >

Can anyone give some advice to a new hunter?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can anyone give some advice to a new hunter?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Can anyone give some advice to a new hunter?

Hello y'all. I finally managed to get into hunting last season, but had no luck at all. I only know a few hunters myself, as my family is anti-hunting and I only knew a couple people at school that hunted. Out of those two people at school I knew, neither of them wanted me hunting with them until I had more experience. So I only hunted with another family I know, from when I got my shotgun license up until the convenient school-closing storm the last day of the season.

I don't really know much about hunting. Just went to spots my friend said were good and sat there until horse riders, quadders, or drivers showed up and scared off the deer. If there were any deer there in the first place.

Since last season, I've been reading up what I can about deer hunting. Subscribed to Field & Stream and have all those magazines in a stack in my dorm, got some other old hunting magazines from friends, reading various articles I can find online. However, all of the stuff covered by these sources is generally targeted at people who already have some knowledge of the sport. So if anyone can give me some advice, I will really appreciate it.

-Garrett
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can anyone give some advice to a new hunter?

Welcome to the fine world of hunting. If you think you love it now, wait until you finally get one. About the best thing I can tell you is maybe check out hunting videos. Right now find a good oak tree with acorns dropping like mad. Find the trail that the deer are using to get there and follow it a little ways, get on the downwind side and set there until the deer shows up.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:24 PM

Hey "GARRETT" if you will go to thetop of this page,you will see a box marked ,show topics from ,click on the arrow and it will open ,click on 365 days .It will show you threads form the last year ,there is 107 pages of some of the best tips you will fine any where.Of course you will have to go thourgh a lot of b.s. to get the good stuff lol By the way your first name is the same as my last.Any time you have a ?????????? just post up some of these fine people will answer .O yea welcome to the fourm.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Aye, I'll see what I can dig up that looks relevant to the stuff I'll be doing in New Jersey and maybe up in New York eventually. At the moment I've been going to the forested part of campus and looking for deer trails and deer. I guess I lucked out and this afternoon a few does were using the trail I thought was in use. Although now my clothes are all covered in dirt as I had to stick to the ground without having any camo up at college!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice to you would be to hunt as often as you can. I started off with a pellet gun going after rabbits squirrels and birds. I did that for a long time before I was older and got to go after deer, but the memories and stories of going after small game in my youth are priceless, not to mention the expierence I gained. When you can walk through the woods quiet enough to score on some squirrles, or sit patiently waiting for them you'll be ready for deer. Hunt, hunt and hunt some more. small game can be just as satisfying. But please dont kill anything your not going to eat. I have been guilty of doing that but now i just cant seem to kill something for no reason at all. Good luck to you.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM

I understand about eating what I shoot. The family I hunt with isn't very well off at all, and if they have a good season they aim not to buy beef until next season. I'd like to be able to get out and hunt more, but this is my freshman year at college and freshmen are required to live in the dorms their first year. And of course, weapons aren't allowed on campus. That doesn't matter, though, as I don't yet have any firearms and I don't have my bowhunting license yet. I'm submitting the paperwork for my firearms purchasers card when I get back to Jersey around Thanksgiving. I wish I was able to get into hunting before, as even if I don't get anything it's still nice to be outdoors in the winter when I can't go fishing.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reading all you can and asking questions helps a lot, but nothing beats the experience of getting out in the woods. One bit of advice I would give is once you get on stand, stay put. You can always try another spot the next day.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

The best advice I could give would be to use forums like these to hook up with someone who lives near you for some mentoring .
Old 10-17-2006, 09:01 AM

try to find a hunting club in or near your area. maybe if you make some more friends who hunt they will be willing to take you out and show you some tips and good hunting spots. don't give up....and be patient. above all else, have fun.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
SST

I've been deer hunting since 1966, so I've managed to pick up a couple things along the way. For starters, hunt where the deer are. Pre-season scouting is a vital part of successful hunting. Be patient. If you hunt where the deer are, and you stay put long enough, you'll probably get your chance. While you're waiting patiently, be sure that game can't see, smell, or hear you. Their senses are far better tuned than ours. If you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take game, hopefully, you are competent with your chosen bow or firearm. That requires lots of practice before season. Finally, if you don't know something, ask. There are no dumb questions (although I've heard my fair share of dumb answers). Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can anyone give some advice to a new hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.