HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Opening Day Doe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159918-opening-day-doe.html)

OntElk 10-16-2006 07:25 AM

Opening Day Doe

Tought I would share my opoening day story of success. We have a legal crossbow season in Ontario and also have an additional tag system whihc only allowed me an antlerless deer in my specific area.

Was happy to fill it opening afternoon. The morning was filled with fun when I rattled in 4 bucks. A button, 4, 6 and small basket 8 point. All too small to use my other tag wich can be used for bucks anywhere in the province. I have the rifle hunt 1st week of Nov so the buck has to be big to get filled early ;)I had turkeys, a red fox, a redtail hawk, and an owl entertain me until 7pm when I finally decided a couple soift contact calls was in order (hunt ended at 7:25pm). Literally 5 mins and i had her slipping along the edge of the corn walking right under my stand. 10 yd shot and she crashed into the bush, rand a few yds and did the side step, 10 more yds and she dropped and within 20 seconds the wind came out of her.

Here she is. Nice big doe that has already provided a very tatsy BBQ'd loin meal.

Hotburn76 10-16-2006 08:22 AM

RE: Opening Day Doe

Thats a nice big doe there Steve! Looks like you will have plenty of BBQ with her! I see you did it with a CB also, What kind is it? There is a nice CB forum under the archery forums and we all have a good time in there, come check it out. Again, nice deer!

NBDeerHunter 10-16-2006 09:11 AM

nice doe.....very good eating....good luck with the buck tag

MN_Deerman 10-16-2006 10:22 AM

That is one big doe. Holy crap!! Congrats.

OntElk 10-16-2006 02:09 PM

Thanks. I never noticed the crossbow forum. I posted it under deer because of course we all know that a crossbow is NOT bowhunting ;);):D:)

The crossbow is an old Cobra crossbow. Don't make 'em anymore. It weighs a ton but hey, that's what the sling is for :D. As long as I can lug it up the stand it now has a 3 for 3 record in the 2 years I have had it.

tschaef 10-16-2006 03:11 PM

Thats great work, did you put your name into the heaviest doe contest. She'd probably be a contender.
As for x-bows not being archery, thats crap, I'm more confident with my compound than my x-bow past 25yrds, and if you check the rules for the annual archery team contest x-bows are allowed.

OntElk 10-16-2006 03:17 PM

No crossbow debate! :D:DI was just joking on that tired old debate which happens.

Cheers! ;):D

heeze gutshot shortee 10-16-2006 07:35 PM

OntElk...good kill..good eats...good life