Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First deer of the year

Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 AM

Default First deer of the year

I tell you all right now, the Good Lord was with me on my Saturday morning hunt. I didn't want to get out of bed, since I was up late the night before with my wife and some friends. I got up thinking you can't see deer from your bed and drove the 20 minutes it takes me to get to my hunting land. Got out a little later than I like. I got to my stand at about 7:15, which was about a half hour later than I usually do. I saw two coyotes right off the bat, that left me thinking great no deer now (that is a different post I am starting, so look for that after you read this one).

Any ways I saw seven deer from 8:15 to 9:45 and shot me a 135lb doe at about 9:30. Yes I saw two more deer about 10 minutes after I shot the doe.

The deer were moving Saturday morning at least in my part of Indiana and to think, I almost didn't go...

Thank the Lord for making my shot true and accurate.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First deer of the year

Congrats on your first of the year!

Yeah, down hear in Southern Indiana, the deer moved great all weekend. Sunday morning I had deer all around me from 6 until 8. Sunday night I watched deer from 4:30 until dark. They're really moving with the cold weather and the moon phases being about right.