Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting Ethics and Good Manners >

Hunting Ethics and Good Manners

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Ethics and Good Manners

Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Hunting Ethics and Good Manners

My son and I were on Midway Road of Peabody Mine property, managed by the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife (Trespass Fee Required) near Beaver Dam, Kentucky this weekend for their youth weekend. We camped with three other adults, five boys in all. I'm sad to report we were over-run with slob hunters.

It amazes me, every year it seems there are more and more "hunters" that simply have no problem parking right next to two or more other trucks, no clue where those people are located, walk in late, and - in our case - sit down within 30 yards of us after seeing us. It's a large area and they obviously had no place in particular to go (no previouslyplaced stand), lots of other pull-off areas with no trucks or people. Why?

These are the same folks that have been leaving trash all over the woods and campsites for years - I keep packing it out, but there's more every year.

Then we had an apparent animal rights activist pull to the parking area (about 200 yards or so from our stand), blowing the car horn, then pull out a .22 pistol and empty a 10-round clip in the general direction of the woods. I didn't get a good look at the truck (small red - that's all) and no license plate. Again, why?

That's the way our youth weekend went - no deer for us, but lots to talk about regarding hunter ethics and the golden rule.

I worry about the future of our sport.

I worry about what our children are learning.

I worry about people in general - no civility, no common courtesy, absolutely no concern for each other in any way.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 AM

Default RE: Hunting Ethics and Good Manners

It's a good question.

My Dad picks up trash off of his place every day and every day he just finds more. He also had to post his land this year, for the first time I can remember, because people were hunting it without his permission.

You see it in a lot of areas. When I was a kid, which wasn't that long ago , we were taught manners. There was a right way and a wrong way to behave, and you'd better pick the right way.

Now days it seems like a lot of people think manners and politeness aren't necessary. I think it is sad.

GSG
Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM

This is why I dislike land open to the public.

I have a nice spot of 100 acres and landowners permission to hunt.

I stop in a talk to the landowner when he is home, and always send a fruitbasket at Christmas!

Let the "slobs" deal with each other.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 AM

This land is not "public land" per se', it is owned by Peabody and they require a trespass fee. It is likely the ARA person was trespassing.

BTW, on the subject of private land, it's becoming nearly impossible to keep the "slobs" off private land too! I've taken my son to private land several times in gun season where we were the only ones with written permission and it was LOADED with trespassing slob hunters.

I have non-hunting friends that are land owners and ranchers who hate hunters because they can not keep them off their land. They trespass, break down fences, throw trash all around, leave gates open and there's virtually nothing you can do. The police come when they want. The DNR comes when they want. There are so many calls during hunting season that police and DNR tend to ignore you unless there are major violations (i.e. multiple pochings, assult, etc.)
Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 AM

I am very fortunante that I have family that owns land that I am the only one who hunts on. I will admit the thought of hunting public land scares the crap out of me for many reasons. Mainly it's the idiots that have no respect for others, nature or the law. You hear stories of a hunter who accidently shot his buddy while hunting. You never know what idiot might be out their, half drunk, looking just to kill something.

I know I am fortunante to have a place to call my own and I wish all true to the sport hunters did as well.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 AM

I hate when other people just come right in where your setup and think they own the place. I have been hunting the same piece of land (public) for 12yrs and every year I usually have 1 or 2 people come right in and walk past me to hunt. I stand up and say where the hell are you going....the usually say someting like " just taking a stroll.....looks likea good spot" I then respond (usually pissed by now) It is a nice spot and as you can see it is taken so get strolling somewhere else and I don't want to see you here again.
Most times it gets the person gone..sometimes it takes a bit more convincing but they leave.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am one of the land owners and every year it gets harder and harder to keep the nut cases off. I have it posted now never had to do that before but I have to now. They cut my fences and even gut my trees down for fire wood I had one guy cut down a tree that had a posted sign on it now that take balls. I hate to say it but I have even run them off at gun point. After talking to the cops they told me to carry a camera and take a pic of themand there cars to prove they were on the land. The courts would do the rest and it did work last year 2 hunters got 15 day and $2500.00 fine for trespassing. I bet they won't be back this year and if they are I will do it again.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 PM

I fully agree with your frustration JJ and I too wonder about how many younger hunters are not being taught how to take treat people's property with respect. I also worry about taking my daughter out with me due to the lack of consideration from others.

Last year I had my worst experience in the 19 years I've hunted. I was in my spot at 5:30am (about and hour before sunrise) to make sure I gave it time to let everything settle down after walking in. I then had 2 adults and 4 kids come walking up the exact path I walked in. I gave them a couple of blinks on the flashlight to let them know I was there and repositioned my blind to the opposite way they were headed. Needless to say I was pretty upset to see one of these adults sit a child by himself a mere 30 yards from me and then take off out of sight. I talked with the kid after 2 hrs of listening to him cough and move around only to find out he was 11 years old. What is this kid learning by himself at that age and how many people are in danger? What happened to the days when you spotted someone hunting, gave a friendly wave and head the other way?

Sorry for the rant here but this topic just rekindled a bad experience.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

I think most of us have some sort of experience like this. With hunting land or rights becoming more difficult to come by it will probably get worse before it gets better. We are lucky because we have private property to hunt on and the land owner tellsus to run any one else off thats on the land. Folks just don't have respect for otherslike they used to. It's a shame.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

coming from CA and only hunting public land with more deer hunters then most all other states i can really relate your frustration because i go through it every year.....just two weekends ago my father and i were heading back from hunting an evening spot with still about 30 minutes of light left to hunt were we had parked our vehicle ... (open land with buck brush) and this guy with a quad goes terring up the hill honking his horn and yelling very loud for no apparent reason...did it for about 10 minutes until i had enough and started up the hill with my vehicle towards his location and then he left.....this is something my family and i get every year....although this year the biggest scare has been the number of pot farms found where i hunt...very spooky, when you are hunting downa 4x4 road 10 miles from the nearest highway and you see a brand new2006 Toyota FJ4 coming rolling down the hill and parks right next to you...

Quick Reply: Hunting Ethics and Good Manners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.