HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   all my deer are nocturnal!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159874-all-my-deer-nocturnal.html)

countrymudder 10-15-2006 08:54 PM

all my deer are nocturnal!!

All my deer are nocturnal, i have many pictures of deer and huge bucks, but all the pics are at night, only two are during the day, and i havent seen but two deer of my stand since the opening day of bow. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips. Im putting up my scrape dripper tommorow, hopefully it will bring out one of the nocturnal monsters.

kevin1 10-16-2006 07:09 AM

RE: all my deer are nocturnal!!

They're nocturnal for now unless they're feeling pressured in some way . Once the rut kicks in that will change .

tazman7 10-16-2006 09:14 AM

I am in the same situation you are in- I have been hunting early in the morning and from 3:00 til dark and I have only seen 3 does in 10 times of hunting....even off in a distance. But there are TONS of tracks, scrapes, and rubs....corn is stillup so that might be the problem

spur0701 10-16-2006 11:53 AM

I think there's a lot of things that factor into that, hunting pressure, weather (a front moving through might make them move before dark, or cold weather might make them get up early and eat), moon phase (full moon means they are more nocturnal, new moon means you're more likely to see them at dusk or dawn)....and sometimes I think that when they herd up the dominate doe or buck have a big say in when the heard moves....I know I've watched different groups through the season and you'll see yearlings come out earlier than older deer or after a dominate doe is taken you'll see the younger animals in the heard not maintain the nocturnal dicipline.....or I've seen different groups no more than a few miles apart keep different schedules.

Jimmy S 10-16-2006 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: spur0701

I think there's a lot of things that factor into that, hunting pressure, weather (a front moving through might make them move before dark, or cold weather might make them get up early and eat), moon phase (full moon means they are more nocturnal, new moon means you're more likely to see them at dusk or dawn)....and sometimes I think that when they herd up the dominate doe or buck have a big say in when the heard moves....I know I've watched different groups through the season and you'll see yearlings come out earlier than older deer or after a dominate doe is taken you'll see the younger animals in the heard not maintain the nocturnal dicipline.....or I've seen different groups no more than a few miles apart keep different schedules.
Good points spur, I agree.

There are always a lot of factors that must be considered when deer sightings are low and IMO too many hunters think nocturnal is always the reason.

If you put even a little pressure on that big old buck, yes, his movement during daylighyt hours will be very limited. A buck that has been avoiding hunters for 4,5 or 6+ years, knows every trick in the book - and going nocturnal is one of them.

I don't believe the same can be said for all the deer in a certain area.

Just my 2 cents.

St.Barnard 10-16-2006 10:47 PM

I'm having the same problem, but I think I have got a solution. I have a friend that has a night scope:DJust kidding. Hoping they will start moving some in about 2-3 wks.

buckhunter14 10-17-2006 05:30 AM

In my area, during the summer, I seen about 7-10 bucks a night coming out much before dark. About a week before season it all changed. Now, I can't see a doe before dark. I leave my treestand at night, no tracks. Come in the morning, tracks galore. You just have to be patient and wait for the rut, that will get them up and moving in no time!

Rack-attack 10-17-2006 07:20 AM

They are nocturnal becuse your pile is so big they don't need to go anywhere

californiabill 10-17-2006 04:57 PM

some guys have found the bucks sneaking out mid day when everyone is having lunch.

spur0701 10-17-2006 05:14 PM

You also have to remember that there's a lost of mast laying on the ground right now and it's gonna be good eating most of the month, I know where I live and hunt there's a lot of white oaks.....be honest, if you had pizza and beer delivered to your bedroom for every meal would you ever leave or even get out of bed?