HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Genetics or ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159831-genetics.html)

NCSportsman 10-15-2006 06:19 PM

Genetics or ???

I've read alot of speculation that if you let the "smaller" horned bucks go that the antlers will be bigger the next season.
Yesterday I took a 4 point that followed the same symmetry as a spike and 3 point I have taken in the same area the past few years.
I also have 2 monsters on my trail cam that I've been monitoring the past month.
I think genes plays a major role in how large a deer's antlers will get.
What do you think?

Oneshot7 10-15-2006 06:28 PM

RE: Genetics or ???

of course genes have a lot to do with it but people in nc dont seem to know how to let em go and which ones to take not directed to you of course just the club behind my house

_Dan 10-15-2006 06:32 PM

Genes are a big factor but so is age. No buck will ever be big if he is killed too young.

NCSportsman 10-15-2006 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

of course genes have a lot to do with it but people in nc dont seem to know how to let em go and which ones to take not directed to you of course just the club behind my house
I didn't intend on shooting this particular deer.
He was down through some thick woods about 75 yards where it was hard to see.
When he turned his head a certain angle I saw what looked to be 1/2 of the rack of the monster I've been watching.
After I shot and got out of my tree I realized what happened.
Oh well, he made a nice donation to Hunters for the Hungry...
The big one is still there!

nctaxi 10-15-2006 06:51 PM

Age and nutrition are the biggest things that I have seen here in NC. I have cams of deer from one year to the next and it's amazing the growth that can take place. I don't know where you live but the genetics are here where I am but you hav eto let them grow. If you're caming big deer, don't shoot the little ones.

GregH 10-15-2006 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Genes are a big factor but so is age. No buck will ever be big if he is killed too young.
Exactly. Age is the biggest factor in antler size.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-15-2006 06:57 PM

75 yards, with what weapon? What seasons are open in NC?

Agree with GregH, age is the biggest factor in antler size, genetics and nutrition follow.

nctaxi 10-15-2006 07:00 PM

Rob - early muzzleloader opened in the eastern part of the state like Oct 4.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-15-2006 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Rob - early muzzleloader opened in the eastern part of the state like Oct 4.
Thank goodness...lol

nctaxi 10-15-2006 07:29 PM

Yea, a little far for a bow shot.:D