Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help deer hunting!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help deer hunting!!!!!!!!!

I just bought 150 acres in Madisonville,TX.But I dont lnow how to hunt it.Any advice would help.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help deer hunting!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting and welcome. We would all like to help but we need more information. What terrain is it, would you be hunting with a gun, bow, muzzleloader. Are their food plots or main foods, wind direction dominance, abundance in trails, etc. A good way is to get a aerial map and post it. We would be able to help alot from that.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

bucks right - we really need more info, aerial photo, layout etc. If it were me and it was wooded, I would contact a forester and have parts of it logged and then food plot those areas. Find the bedding areas and leave those alone. It also depends on the land around you too. If it's all wooded then I definetly would have more timbered than usual, it'll add a lot more drawing power. Deer like edges and the more of them you have the better. Think about food plots, orchards, watering, bedding, the list goes on and on. There is a big upswing in natural food plots, taking out the undesirable trees and adding to the desirable ones, through fertilizing. Weeding out the bad trees lets more light ot the forest floor and increases browse. Hope it helps.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Well,I will be using a 25-6 rifle,I have 2 feeders,the terrain has alot of yopans and heavy woods surrounded by open fields full of goatweeds with two water holes near the woods.I have see many buck tracks coming in and out of the woods about 20 yards from one of the feeders.Couldnt find a map but it has many hills that drop down before they get to woods.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

fly me down there before your season is over, buy me a license, and ill see what i can do to help you out
Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Go find a bunch of good solid tree's and put you up a stand. harvest some deer crops.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 PM

i go through madisonville alot...that is some good deer country,
Old 11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Both google maps and yahoo maps have pretty good aerial maps of the area.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

With enough info we can help, but honestly, as a land owner I bet you would have no problem finding someone to show you the ropes 1st hand. I'm sure there is a knowledgeable hunter around looking for land to hunt, if you could find such a person it would be mutually beneficial, and you might meet a really good friend in the process.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM

From Yahoo maps it, looks like a lot of field land. I am not a big field hunter being in the piney hills of N. La but, I would bet if you did some scouting around your land you could find some rubs and right about now some fresh scrapes. If you have tracks around your feeders, I would start there. Take notice of what direction they come from in the morning's and evenings and then look at your arieal map to get an idea of where they are coming from. Then you can adjust your stand locations from there. I'm not sure what your buck limit is there in theat county but, I would call the local DNR and find out what the avg doe kill should be for you acredge in that area. Then try to take that many does off your property every year. This will allow for more browse for your bucks, which equals bigger, better bucks. Try to refrain from shooting young bucks until you know what you have on the property. Get a couple game cameras and set them up to see what you have roaming around. You will probly be amazed at what is on your property. Good luck and keep us informed.