Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!! >

Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Guys, here my story. Yesterday morning, got on a treestand before sunrise, 1 hours later, a small doe just walking by, she is about 50-70lbs (I am not good as scaling by eyes), with long nose, long neck which fit the description of young mature deer (or to be exact, not a fawn). I had a perfect shot position of my dream, broadside and then quarterly away in about 10 minutes. She looked at me a couple of times then looked away. When I was ready to shot my bow, I saw a couple of dozens faded spot on her rear end and that chickened me out and raised question: "Is that legal to shot?". According to Florida law, shooting spotted fawn is prohibited. I saw many spotted fawns which are dark brownish hair, orange spotted not like this one, light yellowish hair, long nose, long hair, average size. I bet all spots take only weeks to disappear. Then I decided to let her go. I know it is a judgment call by wildlife officer to decide if she is a spotted fawn and I do not want to get penalty for my first deer ever. Would you shoot it? I know most of you might say let it go but remember, it is my first deer and I have spend hours of hunting last year and this year without getting anything and I am trying to be ethic hunter too.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

ORIGINAL: khuengo

According to Florida law, shooting spotted fawn is prohibited.
khuengo, not that I would ever shoot a fawn, but where does it say that in the Fl reg's? You have to be awarded a doe permit orown adjoining property that adjoins 600 acres or more in order to shoot does. It doesn't say anything about Piebolds!

The Fl Reg's are under my signature!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

no, couldnt shoot it. i would feel bad and i would never get any satisfaction out of killing a fawn, so no.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

if that was the deer I wanted to take(and it was legal)and presented me with the shot I wanted to take-yea,I'dshoot it
Old 10-15-2006, 03:42 PM

Id take a yearling if I had the chance and it was like, the last day of the hunt or something, but its illegal to shoota spotted fawn here in Connecticut

-Travis-
Old 10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Wisconsin, if you have a doe tag, you can shoot any size deer you want.....but why shoot a deer so small that all you're going to get is maybe 10 pounds of meat......Naaaaa, I wouldn't even think about it !!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:44 PM

According to biologists come hunting season in the fall all fawns are able to fend for themselves if their mother is shot. If the fawn still had some spots on it maybe its mother was young and was bred late int he season.

Now if you are a meat hunter and can take some razzing then i would shot it. There is probably no better tasting meat then a yearly deer (as good if not better than veal).

However in my neck of the woods hunting camp is as much as hunting as it isbreaking the other guys balls for missing the big one or falling in the stream.

I'm sure it would tase great but in my neck of the woods you might get your carpainted with spots (temporary) as a gag afterwards.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people confuse fawns and yearlings. Fawns are about 6 months old by hunting season. All button bucks are fawns

Yearlings are about 1 1/2 years old in the fall.

So many guys shoot button bucks and doe fawns and really don't realize they shot a fawn, so don't feel bad. As a matter of fact I prefer to shoot a fawn over an adult doe. If given a choice, I will shoot the fawn.

I feel this allows the other fawn a much better chance of surviving hunting season if its mother is stil alive to guide it. Also adult does usually have twins while a first time mother usually has one fawn.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: khuengo

According to Florida law, shooting spotted fawn is prohibited.
khuengo, not that I would ever shoot a fawn, but where does it say that in the Fl reg's? You have to be awarded a doe permit orown adjoining property that adjoins 600 acres or more in order to shoot does. It doesn't say anything about Piebolds!

The Fl Reg's are under my signature!
Sorry Rebel Hog I did not make it clear. I meant in wildlife management areas where I hunt. It's all stated on Archery season and during this season, any deer could be shot except spotted fawn.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

Some people confuse fawns and yearlings. Fawns are about 6 months old by hunting season. All button bucks are fawns

Yearlings are about 1 1/2 years old in the fall.
My question is: How do i know which one are fawns? Which one are yearlings? Based on my description (size, weight), do I think that is yearling or fawn?

Quick Reply: Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.