Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!! >

Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Old 10-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

If you saw faded spots, it was a fawn.

If you look hard enough, especially on dead deer, you can see those, now orange, spots.

Here in PA, most spots are faded by hunting season.

Some people feel bad about shooting a fawn. I feel worse if I shoot mommy and leave the fawns to fend for themselves. So I will shoot the fawn if given a choice. I will shoot does if the fawns look bigger or if it is later in the season.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:50 PM

I forgot to mention that fawn/yearling was walking and eating leavesby itself, without the mother accompanied (it was 8am in the morning) and yesterday was the opening day for hunting season in my area therefore elimimate that chance the mommy was shot recently. What would a fawn do when it lost it mommy? Running around, screaming ...?
Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't take fawns or even does with fawn(s), that is just me though. If spotted is illegal your probably better to error on the side of caution, like you did! As far as harvesting fawns that is purely up to you or the individual, if legal of course.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Myself and my hunting partners will not kill a fawn.It is just too easy to kill a mature doe and it doesn't seem worthwhile to kill a deer for such a small amount of meat.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SalCucco

According to biologists come hunting season in the fall all fawns are able to fend for themselves if their mother is shot. If the fawn still had some spots on it maybe its mother was young and was bred late int he season.

Now if you are a meat hunter and can take some razzing then i would shot it. There is probably no better tasting meat then a yearly deer (as good if not better than veal).

However in my neck of the woods hunting camp is as much as hunting as it isbreaking the other guys balls for missing the big one or falling in the stream.

I'm sure it would tase great but in my neck of the woods you might get your carpainted with spots (temporary) as a gag afterwards.
In NW Florida and South Bama it is very common to see small (10 pounds or so) spotted fawns during early hunting season. I've seen a number of them the first part of Dec. Yesterday afternoon in my backyard food plot there were 3 or 4 of the little fellows running around. I saw a small dead spotted fawn this morning on the highway.

The answer is clearly no on shooting the spotted fawn. This being his first deer I would not be surprised if he over estimated the size of the fawn.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, I am ready to take some flack.
I have shot fawns before, and will likely again. Plain and simple, they are amazing to eat. How many of you eat veal? I have shot them on pop. control hunts where if it was brown and antlerless, shoot it. And I have shot them with a regular doe tag. It is simply succulent.

Now by your size description, it was a yearling, not a fawn. The fawns I have shot weigh maybe 50 lbs. I am unfamiliar with FL's regs on piebalds and such though.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do they go well with spotted owl?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JimPic

if that was the deer I wanted to take(and it was legal)and presented me with the shot I wanted to take-yea,I'd shoot it
Me too , we don't have restrictions on fawns and they just taste too good after a trip through the smoker . We have a very high antlerless limit here , so popping a fawn now and then doesn't hurt the herd at all .
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't be able to take the shot either, no matter if I wasn't so close to it as you get to a deer when you bowhunt. I rifle hunt, but I couldn't take a shot like that.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 PM
bigcountry

I went thru this thing for a year, where I wanted to take some real young deer just for the delicious meat. But that only lasted a few deer, and didn't feel great about it afterwards.

But this year, I needed a doe to get another buck tag, so I took a nice one just out of spots. No regrets. And make some real nice hind roasts to smoke.

Quick Reply: Would you take a spotted young deer. My dilemma !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.