HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bucks & Smoking? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159515-bucks-smoking.html)

BillyMack 10-13-2006 11:21 AM

Bucks & Smoking?

I'm sure it's been asked B4 but, does anyone smoke while they're hunting? I've known a few people who smoke while hunting and they've took some REALLY nice bucks. Most people I talk to say it's crazy to smoke in stand. I have before and had some does come in shortly thereafter, but NO bucks. What gives?

BTW, most of my hunting is done within a 150-175 yd radius of my house.(trails all around it. One really good funnel in a hollar) I smoke outside all the time. They should be used to the smell right?Since they're so close to me anyway. I have deer blow at me from my front porch sometimes, B4 I can even get one lit. Thought about sitting in the rocker w/ my bow LOL!!!!

Seems like it would be a cardinal sin, but is it?

BTW, wind whips in all directions here, so I usually pay it no mind. Wouldn't do any good if I did. It's NEVER constantly going one way, ever.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-13-2006 11:26 AM

RE: Bucks & Smoking?

Well, my husband has taken deer from a ground blind while heating up coffee on a propane stove and smoking a cigarette... I don't have any experience with it, I've never smoked in the stand, but I have to think it depends on what kind of area you are hunting and what smells they are used to picking up on a daily basis.

wis_bow_huntr 10-13-2006 11:31 AM

I had a buck come in lastnight while smoking, didnty offer me a clean shot though. But he came in. along wiht 4 does that were right under and around my ladder stand

Buck Huntin Girl 10-13-2006 11:36 AM

Also, forgot to add, from what I've learned and researched, deer are a naturally curious animal. Smoke is one of their curiosities, I guess they don't sense it as a "predator" smell. Many will disagree, but I've heard of and seen many decent animals taken by smokers.

BillyMack 10-13-2006 11:58 AM

That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus, my hunting area is adjacent to a major interstae hwy too. My stand is probably 150 yds from the white line on it. Lord knows what kinda smells come from that!

I also feel more apt to hunt longer if I'm comfy. Anyone who smokes regularly knows it's tough to go 3,4,5,6 hrs w/o one. If I don't take 'em w/me, I'm usually dying for one about 9-3:30 in the mornings.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-13-2006 12:00 PM

I'm right off an interstate as well.... probably 250 yards behind my stand.

nohillbilly 10-13-2006 12:24 PM

I've always smoked in my stand and have even shot deer with a cig in my mouth. I have never had a big buck close enough to shoot with my bow. Both of my wall hangers were harvested with a rifle at sixty and seventy-five yards. I can't tell you right now if smoking makes a difference or not. I quit smoking back in August. So this weekend will be my firsttime ever hunting without the smoking. We'll see if I get anynice ones in close.

livbucks 10-13-2006 01:13 PM

Smoke is a natural smell. It can act as a cover scent even. The hillbillies where I hunt burn garbage, stink up the woods,and the deer are still there. I think that it doesNOT hurt your chances. If they are downwind of your cigarette, they are downwind of you too, and are going to catch your scent as well, so what's the diff?

tschaef 10-13-2006 01:53 PM

I smoke on the stand, I smoke too much, more than other times because it gives my hands something to do and helps pass the time. I don't think the smoke bothers them, but it keeps your hand moving to your face and that will get you busted. In my opinion the movement of smoking is worse than the smell.

Rebel Hog 10-13-2006 01:53 PM

Smoking While Deerhunting