HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Building a blind question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159491-building-blind-question.html)

bassfisherman711 10-13-2006 08:40 AM

Building a blind question

So I am heading to the National Forest here in VA in mid December to camp/hunt for 3 days. I am going to do some still hunting, but if that doesnt work out, I plan on building a blind on some trail or something so I can hopefully get a deer. Would yall just suggest i build a blind out of stick and leaves and all (which would also help with scent elimination) or should i take a camo cloth out with me and make it out of that? Any good ideas on blind styles or placement?

Where should i set up if this will be my first time ever hunting here, its public land and its going to be cold (middle of December)?

thanks everyone

gone thinking 10-13-2006 08:53 AM

RE: Building a blind question

I would personally suggest using something as mobile as possible. You may want to change where you sit from day to day, or at times even several times within the same day.

The first time you sit at any given spot will almost always be your best chance of seeing a mature buck. When I hunt state land I use my climber stand and walk till I have found a promising area with a lot of sign then I put up right there......if it is the first time you have ever been in an area, scouting or otherwise, you greatly increase your chances of seeing a mature buck walk thru that has no clue of your presence, but if you set up a stick blind or anything else, then come back to hunt, even if its the very next morning, that buck will probably already know your there....you wont see him. There are exceptions, like everything else, but this has been my experience! Have fun!

wis_bow_huntr 10-13-2006 10:53 AM

If you can afford it go out and pick up th eoriginal Dog House Blind by Ameristep, its alot cheaper now than it used to be, most places are selling this blind for under $60.00. Sets up in a mtter of minutes and comes down and packed just as fast. Id advise practicing with the setup and packing of it before heading out. But its failry simple. Good luck on your trip and get a biggun.

Red Lion 10-13-2006 11:57 AM

I made a portable blind out of camo mesh from Sportsmans Warehouse and some 1/2" dowels cut to about 3 1/2 ft tall and sharpened to pointsat the bottom.I used four dowels, thus creating 3 panels about3' high by about 3' wide. Ifolded the mesh camo in half the narrow way on the ground, I ran some parachute cord thru the foldin the mesh with a little extra on each end. I thenwrappedboth ends of the mesh arounddowels and stapled and ziptied the dowelssecure, while stapling the parachute cord secure on top of the dowels. I stapledand ziptied thelast two dowelsequal distances from the outside two dowels, inside, about 3' from each end and from each other. Istapled and ziptied thelast two dowels, including the parachute cord to the top of each as well. I painted the dowels OD green prior to assembly. Total cost about $25.
I can roll and unroll the blind up to transport. Not the most portable, but portable enough, while providing good concealment.
Just thought I would share it with you.

Ruttenit 10-13-2006 07:49 PM

Could you post a pic?

SwampTHING 10-14-2006 01:39 AM

Get a facemask, sit on the ground with your back against a big tree. If you move slowly deer wont see you!

BIG TUNA 10-14-2006 06:31 AM

It is normally illegal to make any changes with vegetation, in national and state parks. You can get in trouble for building a stand, especially if you use surrounding wood. An easy pop-up blind will work for your needs, and no hassels from the park rangers.

Deerhunter150 10-14-2006 07:27 PM

i love my brickhouse by ameristep. easy & good camo