HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Setting up and preping a blind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/159489-setting-up-preping-blind.html)

Red Lion 10-13-2006 08:30 AM

Setting up and preping a blind

I am going to set out my new doghouse pop-up blind on the land that I am deer huntingduring rifle season tomorrow. I have never used a pop-up blind before. I know to camo it so it blends in well with the surroundings, but are there other things that I could/should do in preparation that I should or would have wished I would have done come time to hunt that I may be unaware of? Thanks for any feedback ahead of time.

DannyD 10-13-2006 09:45 AM

RE: Setting up and preping a blind

Hey Red,

Make sure you have removed all twigs and leaves from the area you will be setting your blind. Don't want to make noise when moving your feet.

Whatever windows you will not be using the mesh, take it off now.The velcrois noisy when taking it off in the woods.

Stake the blind down. The doghouse will move quite a bit in any wind since it has those round bottoms.

Keep windows behind you shut to assist in concealing your movement.

Red Lion 10-13-2006 09:49 AM

That is just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks.

DannyD 10-13-2006 09:54 AM

No problem,

One last item. Draw your bow a few times while sitting in the blind. This will help in determining the best position for your chair

Mike from Texas 10-13-2006 10:45 AM

Danny pretty much nailed it.

wis_bow_huntr 10-13-2006 10:54 AM

try to use a chair with no armrests. this will allow you to shoot better and turn if you have to.

Hoosier_Hunter1963 10-13-2006 11:40 AM

Here's a couple more things that I discovered last year while blind hunting.

I had one of those "bag chairs" in it like you sit in around the camp fire. Make sure it's not one where you sink way down in the seat and have to move alot to see out...etc.

I kept each side of the blind windows slightly open, but only about 10-12 inches or less. Another thing that I used to was GREAT was an old "for sale" sign stuck in the ground by the front window. This is almost the perfect height for a gun rest. Rest the front of the gun on that and you are good to go.

Anyone else got any great ideas????

Tigerfan 10-13-2006 03:40 PM

Don't do to much brush clearing, you don't want the deer to feel naked when they walk into range. I use twine to pull limbs and branches away. That helps with conceelment as well, you can pull a limb down, up, or over to help conceel yourself. Just a thought.

tazman7 10-13-2006 04:47 PM

I just setup three ground blinds last week- I dug out all of the grass and stuff where my feet go- your feet will make no noise on dirt rather then grass

Deerhunter150 10-15-2006 10:39 PM

i put my chair on a piece of plywood so it dont go down in the dirt. i
almost fell out of mine before i done this. i still use a face mask, have had turkey stick their head in the blind and not see me. good luck