Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Setting up and preping a blind >

Setting up and preping a blind

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Setting up and preping a blind

Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Setting up and preping a blind

I am going to set out my new doghouse pop-up blind on the land that I am deer huntingduring rifle season tomorrow. I have never used a pop-up blind before. I know to camo it so it blends in well with the surroundings, but are there other things that I could/should do in preparation that I should or would have wished I would have done come time to hunt that I may be unaware of? Thanks for any feedback ahead of time.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Setting up and preping a blind

Hey Red,

Make sure you have removed all twigs and leaves from the area you will be setting your blind. Don't want to make noise when moving your feet.

Whatever windows you will not be using the mesh, take it off now.The velcrois noisy when taking it off in the woods.

Stake the blind down. The doghouse will move quite a bit in any wind since it has those round bottoms.

Keep windows behind you shut to assist in concealing your movement.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 AM

That is just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problem,

One last item. Draw your bow a few times while sitting in the blind. This will help in determining the best position for your chair
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Danny pretty much nailed it.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

try to use a chair with no armrests. this will allow you to shoot better and turn if you have to.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a couple more things that I discovered last year while blind hunting.

I had one of those "bag chairs" in it like you sit in around the camp fire. Make sure it's not one where you sink way down in the seat and have to move alot to see out...etc.

I kept each side of the blind windows slightly open, but only about 10-12 inches or less. Another thing that I used to was GREAT was an old "for sale" sign stuck in the ground by the front window. This is almost the perfect height for a gun rest. Rest the front of the gun on that and you are good to go.

Anyone else got any great ideas????

Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM

Don't do to much brush clearing, you don't want the deer to feel naked when they walk into range. I use twine to pull limbs and branches away. That helps with conceelment as well, you can pull a limb down, up, or over to help conceel yourself. Just a thought.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I just setup three ground blinds last week- I dug out all of the grass and stuff where my feet go- your feet will make no noise on dirt rather then grass
Old 10-15-2006, 10:39 PM

i put my chair on a piece of plywood so it dont go down in the dirt. i
almost fell out of mine before i done this. i still use a face mask, have had turkey stick their head in the blind and not see me. good luck

Quick Reply: Setting up and preping a blind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.