Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how far do u go to stay scent free as possible >

how far do u go to stay scent free as possible

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how far do u go to stay scent free as possible

Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 AM

Default RE: how far do u go to stay scent free as possible

I spray my camos and my body with earth scented attractants. I bathe with nonscented soap and shampoo/conditioner, and wash my camos in unscented detergent. I also keep a small bottle of mouth spray on hand. Haven't tried the unscented deodorant yet, but I might soon.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Spike

I use scent soap on my clothes. I take a scent free showerbefore every hunt and I spray everything down that I am going to take out into the woods with me with a good scent spray even my bow. I use rubber boots if I am hunting in an area that I feel the need for them if not I wear my danners that are sprayed down( I have never had a deer stop and smell where I have walked). I keep all of my clothing in scent lok bags and put my scent lok bags into x-large zip loc bags. I do not dress until I getout of my truck to hunt, I again then spray down my boots and my bow. I also have ascent lok suit but it does notseem to have made that much of a difference.One of the biggest things to do is to slow down so that you do not sweat, I walk real slow and I wear as little as possible to my stand and then I put onthe rest of my clothing there. The biggest thing to rememberis to place your stand on the downwindside of the area you are going to hunt. No matter what you do you will never completely fool a deers nose, you may decrease the amount of scent that you put out but you will never completely fool mother nature. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 AM

I believe that most deer people hunt should be considered urban deer because they are only 1 to 2 miles away from us humans and are desensitized. I have to confess I usually wear the boots I wear all day, drink beer, work, anything in. I drag a branch with the latest doe scent behind me to a tree climb real high in a Tree Lounge. Deer have followed the trail I walked down. Deer have looked straight at me while I wear blue jeans and have no reaction unless I move. I am starting to see the hunting industry push all these must have items on us. I think decked out camo hunters are like golfers in their must have golf shirts.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:55 AM

you really have a mental disturbance. have you sought the help of a professional?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: isatarak

I have a portable shower I pull behind my pickup and take a shower where I park. That eliminates "house smells". I have bows and clothes that I leave at each stand. I walk nude to the stand, climb up and dress. I wear light rubber gloves when handling my bows so no bodily scent is transferred to my bows. I use a carbon mask that filters my breath when I exhale. I spray carbon blast on a tampon and insert it in case I fart.
That's hilarious! For me, it's not "if" I fart. [8D]

I just try to keep all my clothes outside airring out all the time. Spray myself and everything I take w/me down good. Just got me some real rubber boots this year. So far, haven't been winded that I know of.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:32 PM

I do absolutely nothing and eat lot of chili before I go out.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Spike

Ithought it was really funny that the shaving Everything was brought up. I was just joking about that the other day with someone, and they said whatare you gonna do next shave urbody to bescent free? I said, if it helps me shootbigger deer...

I do the whole scent protection thing very religiously. I working ongetting the whole scentblocker suit, i got ajacket, mask, and gloves so far.