HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best Attractant for Non-Rut... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/158887-best-attractant-non-rut.html)

Reesedw 10-09-2006 05:37 PM

Best Attractant for Non-Rut...

This Sat is the deer opener in Wash. State, I was wondering what is the best attractant for non-rut situations... I'll be hunting Mulies in the sage with scattered trees.... Thanks for the Help..

kevin1 10-10-2006 07:04 AM

RE: Best Attractant for Non-Rut...

Curiosity scent such as plain non-estrous doe urine .

RDHunter 10-10-2006 09:02 AM

With so many products out there , its really hard to tell ya which one will work best for you.
I use Trails End from Wildlife Reshearch on a drag rag to lay a sent trail to my stand in the early part of the season and it seems to work pretty good.

pdaddy 10-10-2006 09:35 AM

You can have all that store scent containing preservative- We have switched to the freshly collected scents bought from deer farmers. We use products from www.southernwhitetailscents.com. We have scored some really nice bucks in the last two years.

tazimna 10-10-2006 10:46 AM

about 8 years ago I switched from your typical scent products, to using straight store bought vanilla extract, and have had fantastic results with it. I generally buy a couple bottles of the imitation vanilla, pour into a container, then fill one of the bottles with water(seems to strong when used just straight), and mix the two together. It's been amazing how many whitetails I've brought in with it. Works great to spray where you want the deer to stop for a shot. One of my stands has a decent size boulder near it, and I usually spray the rock pretty well, and you'd be surprised how many deer will sit and lick the rock for a few minutes. Happy Hunting! Taz

AJ52 10-10-2006 11:12 AM

Ditto on the Vanilla taz.Best thing is it works 24/365.

I use pure Vanilla(pure is pricey)and dilute a bit.Been using for years.
I have pics of deer last yr headed directly toward bottle filled with vanilla.
Watched deer walk into field and scent the stuff. Great curiosity scent and cover scent around stands.

Rebel Hog 10-10-2006 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: tazimna

about 8 years ago I switched from your typical scent products, to using straight store bought vanilla extract, Taz
Hummmm, never tried that! Might give a try!

Reesedw 10-10-2006 09:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll give the Vanilla a try.. May you All have a huge gut pile.....

GregH 10-11-2006 08:38 AM

Spray yourself and the entire surrounding area with apple juice and don't forget your bee sting kit![:-]

agaucher 10-11-2006 12:44 PM

Was thinking about trying the Vanilla extract method this weekend - a couple questions.

What ratio do you mix it down to - 2:1 (water:vanilla)??

Also, do you spray it directly on your boots, onthe ground - or put it on something to hang from a tree?

Thanks in advance

Cleetus 10-11-2006 01:07 PM

I am also intrigued by the Vanilla scent method. I like to dip Skoal, but I never do while hunting. I think I might try some Vanilla Skoal tomorrow evenings hunt. I have the same question as aguacher, what is the ratio?

bigdeernofear 10-11-2006 02:11 PM

I use curiosity, it works fine for me

AJ52 10-11-2006 06:56 PM

I use the little orange scent bottles you buy in a pack in almost any hunting dept,Wal Mart etc...I go 3:1 with pure Vanilla.I've never tryed the spray bottle method.I'll give that a try in a few days.

mbowerma 10-12-2006 07:27 PM

Here is something you can try. Make up three lures. One the vanilla 3:1 is good. Another made the same but add a couple of drops of Anise extract.

Third the same as the last. However you got to get a tarsal gland (from a road kill or a harvested deer). Use hot not boiling water and wash the gland use that water to do the mixes. Wash the gland in a jar by shaking it.

You can further refine the last option by using a buck or a doe tarsal.

jimmy the foot 10-12-2006 07:32 PM

doe or buck piss.
non estrous.
throw in some grunts followed by some bleats and see what happens.
find a scrape and throw in some estrous with some rattling and see what happens.
remember not all deer come into estrous at the same time so don't be scared to pop the cork on some estrous piss early....ya never know.
ain't deer hunting great.

BillyMack 10-12-2006 07:50 PM

I tried the vanilla this morning for the 1st time. After about 45 mins. I had 7 deer within bow range. Was about to take a good doe and my stand creaked just as I began to draw. One of 'em had snuck up behind me and well, BUSTED!

One of them kept coming back. Once about 30 mins after this and blew. It came back about another 20 mins and blew again. It came BACK AGAIN about another 30 mins, but never gave a good shot. I'm not sure if it was the vanilla or code blue buck pee, but I can honestly say I've NEVER had that many deer come within bow range of me at one time. I did use a little "tickling" w/ my rattle bag too.

Wondering if I should try the same setup in the morning or not?!