Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Best Attractant for Non-Rut... >

Best Attractant for Non-Rut...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Attractant for Non-Rut...

Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Best Attractant for Non-Rut...

I am also intrigued by the Vanilla scent method. I like to dip Skoal, but I never do while hunting. I think I might try some Vanilla Skoal tomorrow evenings hunt. I have the same question as aguacher, what is the ratio?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I use curiosity, it works fine for me
Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the little orange scent bottles you buy in a pack in almost any hunting dept,Wal Mart etc...I go 3:1 with pure Vanilla.I've never tryed the spray bottle method.I'll give that a try in a few days.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Here is something you can try. Make up three lures. One the vanilla 3:1 is good. Another made the same but add a couple of drops of Anise extract.

Third the same as the last. However you got to get a tarsal gland (from a road kill or a harvested deer). Use hot not boiling water and wash the gland use that water to do the mixes. Wash the gland in a jar by shaking it.

You can further refine the last option by using a buck or a doe tarsal.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

doe or buck piss.
non estrous.
throw in some grunts followed by some bleats and see what happens.
find a scrape and throw in some estrous with some rattling and see what happens.
remember not all deer come into estrous at the same time so don't be scared to pop the cork on some estrous piss early....ya never know.
ain't deer hunting great.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM

I tried the vanilla this morning for the 1st time. After about 45 mins. I had 7 deer within bow range. Was about to take a good doe and my stand creaked just as I began to draw. One of 'em had snuck up behind me and well, BUSTED!

One of them kept coming back. Once about 30 mins after this and blew. It came back about another 20 mins and blew again. It came BACK AGAIN about another 30 mins, but never gave a good shot. I'm not sure if it was the vanilla or code blue buck pee, but I can honestly say I've NEVER had that many deer come within bow range of me at one time. I did use a little "tickling" w/ my rattle bag too.

Wondering if I should try the same setup in the morning or not?!