HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   WHERE THE HE!! ARE ALL THE DEER?!?!?!?!?!?! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/158877-where-he-all-deer.html)

deerslayer270 10-09-2006 04:46 PM

WHERE THE HE!! ARE ALL THE DEER?!?!?!?!?!?!

as some of you know the archery season opener in PA was sept 30th....i spent the whole day, from sun up to sun down in my stand, through the cold wind and rain and didnt see 1 deer....ok, bad day...deer dont typically move in the rain.....last monday i snuck out for a few hours after school, it was a nice day....i spent about 2 hours before the skys open up and i get drenched.....ok, so it was another bad day...i didnt see not 1 deer....well....i had the feeling today was my day. i got in the woods and hour before sun up and stayed till about 5PM when i gave up and went back to my truck.....i sat in my stand untill about noon not seeing 1 deer..ok im thinkin...me and my grandfather are the only ones hunting this land maybe they just arent moving. so i start walking and posting up and walking some more and continue this for the next 5 hours....not seeing 1 deer....i have gone hunting 3 times this season and havent seen one deer in an area we have had tremendous success in past years....is it the location? is it me? has anyone els in SW PA have this kind of luck? please speak up...... BTW i forgot to mention this sint just me having this luck..this is all 6 of us in my hunting party.....

buckhunter14 10-09-2006 04:50 PM

RE: WHERE THE HE!! ARE ALL THE DEER?!?!?!?!?!?!

Try going 8 times and seeing 2 deer... I with ya friend!

kevin1 10-10-2006 07:12 AM

If the oaks are dropping where you are like they are here then the deer are probably feeding on them , there's also plenty of nearby ag crops for them so they don't have to move much . Try finding their bedrooms or waterholes . Creek bottoms are always a good bet too .

Cleetus 10-10-2006 07:16 AM

Full moon hasn't helped much either for morning and evening hunts. With this cold front coming through the midwest here in a few days (should get to you by the weekend), they should start moving quit a bit more. Hang in there brother, you will get your shot.

wi_buckstomper 10-10-2006 02:09 PM

until the corn comes off around here sightings are usually low

wiranger 10-11-2006 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: wi_buckstomper

until the corn comes off around here sightings are usually low

AMEN to that....

bucksnbeagles 10-11-2006 07:48 AM

In the acorns!!! Red oaks are dropping heavy in southern IN and the deer have backed off most clover and alfalfa. Bean has dried and deer seem to have backed off it for now. Corn is beingrun also.You can always bet bet the deer are in the corn. Arrowed a 110# doe last saturday and checked her stomach contents. Loaded with corn acorn chunks and some greens. Careful going in mornings with full moon deer are staying in woods around the oaks.

Big Racks Clothing 10-11-2006 11:51 AM

You haven't been seeing any deer because of the full moon. With themoon change and the artic blast coming through, you should see lots more deer in the coming days. It's 81 here today and supposed to be 33 Friday morning....almost 50 degree change. I'm ready for it! Good luck.

Big Racks Clothing

mnsqueeze 10-11-2006 12:07 PM

we are comming off of a full moon., i hunted darn near every day during that,. not seeing much at all., BUT sunday after having 30-40 mile/hour winds for 3and 1/2 days i went out. the winds have now died down to 15m/h, and i saw lots of deer and shot myself one of the biggest does i have ever shot., i guess i was in the right spot at the right time., but now the moon phase is goin to last and then new moon., get ready it is goin to really start rocken!!:D:D

wyotimberghost 10-11-2006 03:08 PM

I haven't been seeing much either. I've hiked probably 20 miles through the timber, up and down canyons, straight up a mountain, and I even hiked a bunch of open parks and meadows in the evening. And I have yet to see anything bigger than a little fork horn. There have been a lot of hunters in the area, though, so the deer are just getting pressured into places where they're more secluded. That sure makes finding a buck worth shooting a real chore. I think I'll have to wait until the next areas I'm planning on hunting open on the 15th to see better bucks.