Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 got 82 pound doe, and attacked by an anti' >

got 82 pound doe, and attacked by an anti'

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

got 82 pound doe, and attacked by an anti'

Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: got 82 pound doe, and attacked by an anti'

ORIGINAL: just curious

i also like to do a quick math problem illustrating the population explosion that would occur if the deer harvest didn't occur for 5 years. its rather scary to see how many deer can populate your state if none of them are harvested in 5 years. i even allow for a high rate of death due to roadkill and natural predation. it gets their attention. mention the car insurance rate hike. another way to get a reaction. its hard to argue with facts.
Very good advice!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have ask her if wee eat meat and if she said yes I would say case close. The slaughter house uses elec. to kill did the beef hace a shock rods before it was killed for you to eat. Then I would walk away from her.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know how I would react if confronted in that way. Maybe I would just be quiet and try to minimize the discomfort of the situation. Or then again I might really open up on them, which may not be good for the public perception of hunters. I would hope I would patiently explain that hunters are the tool of state game management which carefully stage hunting seasons and bag limits to maintain the game population at the appropriate levels. Without hunters, deer populations would expand excessively, causing damage to agriculture/gardens and increasing dangerous car collisions with people, as is the case in many northern states. I would perhaps explain that all game animals will die and the death they receive at the hands of a hunter is likely far more "humane" than the death they would otherwise receive in a harsh winter or run to ground by coyotes. Then again, I may be just as likely to just say "go &*^!@ yourself you decrepit old bag! Did I ask you to be my personal guru? How are you qualified to speak on this subject? What do you know about this topic?"
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 PM

There's a good old Southern saying that can be used at times like this...."Didn't your momma raise you better than that?" If said with a deadpan face while staring directly in their eyes, it works wonders at gracefully pointing out a person's rudeness.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Well they are all over the place most just don't approach us. The most I ever got was the finger once when in my truck. If you all remember the tailgate down or up thread, well I like mine down, and show it all to the world. She pulled up beside me, and gave me a dirty look and the finger, I just got in from the woods, still had stained hands and waved my nice reddish brown hand back at her!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 AM

YOU SHOULD HAVE ACTED ALL CONCERNED AND GOT HER TO FOLLOW OUT TO YOUR TRUCK TO GET A CLOSER LOOK AT THE DOE ,THEN GIVE HER TWO STRIPES OF WAR PAINT[BLOOD] DOWN BOTH CHEEKS.THAT WOULD BE SOME FUNNY SH.. RIGHT THERE..WATCHING HER RUN OFF SCREAMING. THEN YOU SHOULD BE GETTING IN YOUR TRUCK AND HALLIN A//,,,,
Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the deer and doing the right thing. I think most have been there in way or form, be it a remarks such as yours or a converstaion with someone in a more mature manner. The later I will take the time to explain why hunting is essential but the quick remarks or jabsIsimply ignore them. I have learned in many cases what you say they don't really hear any way, they have a mind set and once you begin talking they shut down, however they will detect even the slightest harsh tone or word to assimulate you to a beast! So sometimes being nice and really not saying anything is the best policy b/cthey don't have a grasp on reality!! Like you mentioned she had no problems wearing leather shoes, etc...reality is a pipe dream for such individuals[].
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 AM

yes she did
Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The summer before we all went away to college, my high school buddies and I went out to western Kansas for a couple weeks for coyote, jackrabbits,and P-dogs, and whatever other unfortunate animal happened to cross our paths...we went into town one afternoon to pick up some food, wearing our revolvers on our hips...no one said anything, no one even seemed to notice until we had already checked out....

My buddy Chuck was 6'4" and 295#, pretty large character and carrying a pretty large 44mag on his hip...and this little "soccer mom" type gets up in his face nearly screaming at him for being a "crazy gun carrying redneck"...

Chuck hollers "Lady!!", drew his pistol, cocked it, and slammed it on the counter, just staring this gal in the eyes...after a tense moment he quietly asked her "in the last 10 seconds, what did that COCKED and LOADED gun do to you?---Nothing----but I bet I scared the schitt out of you"...

He picked up his pistol, cleared it, and we walked out without a word from anyone else in the store.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're only 1 generation away from a time when millions of people across this country HAD to hunt to put food on the table or there wouldn't be but a few potatoes, cabage and other garden vegatable to eat. My dad and his generation lived through that.
In my experience, most of the people who hunt I know have more respect for and contribute more to game and non-game habitat and programs that increase the numbers of all wild animals.
We use, enjoy in eating and respect the game. People who only pick their food out of a refigeration case at the supermarket largely have no clue where that food came from, how it was raised or processed.
I find it pointless to argue with someone like you described who is so ignorant. You're took the high road and are a better man for it, even though it wasn't easy. A blessing upon you and yours each time you eat the game you take with humility and thanks to the One who made it.

Quick Reply: got 82 pound doe, and attacked by an anti'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.