Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Has anybody ever hunted out of a boat? >

Has anybody ever hunted out of a boat?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Has anybody ever hunted out of a boat?

Old 10-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Spike

Default Has anybody ever hunted out of a boat?

I was just thinking, becouse where im living now i dont have many places to hunt becouse its all private land, but i live only right down the river from the savannah river and i saw like six deer this morning while fishing
i know you cant shoot them in the water but what about on the shore w/ the boat not running?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:58 PM

Default RE: Has anybody ever hunted out of a boat?

You need to check your rules and regulations on this very carefully. I am from Kansas and to my knowledge it is highly illegeal to shoot deer from a boat. However you can use a boat to get to hunting spots. Shooting deer from a boat is like shooting deer from a vehicle. Even if the boat isn't running, thatsno different thansaying the vehicle isn't running.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

i no some one who only hunts from a boat in the fall and he likes to waite untill they get in the water so they dont go as far
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did it once. The fella I was in the boat withgot all excited when we were nearing shore of a small island in the Little Bear Branch River and he saw some does and a real nice buck down the shore a bit. He was so struckin with buck fever that he went and shot a hole in the bottom of my boat, causing the deer to all flag on off. I happen to notice the arrival of our newly arriving swimming pool. But fortuneatly I had the mind and fore thought to quickly put not one equal hole in the bottom but two drain holes. Why two? Because you have to be able to let the water out faster than it was coming in, right? ( See I am one of the sharper knives in the drawer, eh?! This head ain't just a hat rack! )

Now before you neh sayerspipe up you should know that my thinkingworked and saved us from surely swamping the fine vessel! Because we barely made it to shore under full 15hp throttle before she wedged on the floor about 10 feet from shore! We barely got water over our boots wading to shore!

After we were recued from certaindeath by the Coast Guard and DNR, I latersold the boat. The fella I sold it toseemed kinda amused at the one inlet and two drains.As he gave me the $50 and was ready to drive away he told me, "Youshould have gotten a model with the built in emergency drains."

Go figure.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

In many states including where I hunt, the land owner owns the land to the middle of the river. Check your regulations. I have hunted moose from boats but we didn't shoot from the boat. If we spot one we land the boat and try to circle in behind them on foot.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Several times now I have floated down the river in a canoe in search of deer. We get out on the pulic islands, some private land we have permission to hunt on, and any other public land along the way. It's a blast!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in WV we can hunt from a boat. You can shoot from the boat as long as it's stopped.
I did this in the Spring while turkey hunting. I went the edges of all the coves with my scratch slate. when I would get a gobble I would sit for a while and see if I could get them to come in. If not I would get out and tryand get closer.