HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   To early to rattle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/158672-early-rattle.html)

droptine28 10-07-2006 10:55 PM

To early to rattle?

I hunt in eastern Northcarolina and i was wondering if now is a good time to rattle?

skeeter 7MM 10-07-2006 11:37 PM

RE: To early to rattle?

A month before the rut you can try spar rattling(light/low toned tickling/not aggressive)to entice bucks in. Though this usually results in immature bucks. So to anwser your question it depends when the rut takes place in your area?

I usually don't rattle till week(or so)before the rut, this when the bachelor groups arelong split off and the bucks are starting to chase does. My best success on mature deer comes this time throughearly post rut. Like anything it doesn't work everytime.

Good luck

treestandstealth 10-09-2006 11:38 AM

I agree with skeeter, but I have also heard that rattling or grunting too early actuall alarms the deer. but I personally beleive just a little rattling ( nothing too agressive) is just fine.

zrexpilot 10-09-2006 06:25 PM

Tickeling the tines can entice a buck to come investigate sometimes. Do not get aggressive, very light tickeling right now.

wi_buckstomper 10-10-2006 02:11 PM

i dont rattle until nov. but its worth a try

youngfart 10-10-2006 02:27 PM

Time is Now

This is what I call the majic 2 weeks for rattling deer in. Just like the guys have been saying ,just tickle the antlers and they will come.The batchler groups are breaking up as the bucks start to make their pre rut scrape lines. I've rattled in 3 different bucks in since the 3rd week of September ,but all were imature bucks. The big boys will come you just have to be in the right place at the right time and also Luck is needed. Giver a shot and don't be to hard on the antlers or you'll be scaring more deer than you want to come in[:@].
Youngfart

mnsqueeze 10-10-2006 07:51 PM

well here in mn i have seen and herd of 2 different bucks locked up and 1 was killed by the other ., now weather the one got tired and then died??? who knows ., this weekend im goin out and im goin to go full tilt on rattling., where im hunting there is a few big boys and lots of nice ones., and im seeing them splitting up already.,yes i know it is early ., but im goin for it ., i will start out light/tickle and then go from there., i have called in a few smaller bucks with the can already and my grunt tub., so i think here in MN. it is starting early ., good luck to you all this year.,

MN_Deerman 10-11-2006 08:52 AM

MNsqueeze, let us know how it went. I'd be really interested to see what effect it will have this early. Good luck.

mnsqueeze 10-11-2006 09:28 AM

deerman ., i will let you know., last weekend this guy was out hunting down in the swamp., he said he was rattling and a pretty nice 10 pointer came out with his ears back!! and a looking., this was a week ago., so im thinking it will work ., i normaly hit it hard banging around the 20th of oct,. and on., but i really do think it is goin to be a early rut!! ., good luck to you and i will let yo uknow

2footroper 10-11-2006 11:19 AM

I've seen young bucks sparring this time of year but thats about it. I do know that last year at the end of January my wife called me to the edge of our property because she herd alot of noise in the woods. What we saw was two big bucks engaged in an all out battle. After what I guess was 5 full minutes the bigger one finally ran the other one off.
My dumpster is right there where we dispose of our horse manure. We were standing by it when the big buck came out of the woods after his victory and looked right at us no more than 10 yards away. I got to tell ya'll I was ready to throw my wife and myself in the dumpster if he came closer. He let out with a loud low growl and ran back in the woods.
I was really surprised they would be fighting this late in the year but I suspect there was a doe that haden't been bread yet around. from what I understand if a doe isn't bread she will cycle every 28 days until she is. I've even took a photo of a buck on March 28th that still had it's rack.