Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot

Old 10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buckshot

I bet I have killed over 100 deer with buck shot. Now with that said you have to do your homework. Buy as maney boxes of different buckshot as you can and try it with modified and full chock chokes I know that full choke is suppos to be the tightest choke but sometimes it can be too tight and have ill effects on your buck shot. This way you will see what buck shot and choke combination will be best for your gun. Do your tests at 40 yards. After you figure out which is best then you can move your target to 50 or more and test you buck shot. But I agree with most folks I would keep my longest shot under 50 yards.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know. Buckshot is illegal in Indiana. They outlawed it because all it does is wound deer unless they are really close.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

BUCKSHOT! Wow, no offense, but are you kidding? I've shot coyotes with 3 1/2 in BB while duck hunting andit didn't do much. Using it deer hunting is just nuts in my opinion. It's outlawed here in IN, but even if it was legal you would catch me ever using buckshot. You should be able to killa deer with a slug in my opinion. I'm as excited gun hunting because hunting with a slug gun is easy enough as it is. I would think the deer would have to be so close anyway might as well use a bow, that's probably more lethal.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the deer would have to be so close anyway might as well use a bow, that's probably more lethal.
Anyone that thinks a bow is less likely to result in a wounded and lost deer than buckshot at the same range has never used it. Sorry, just a fact.