HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/158491-cwd-spread-saliva-careful.html)

nyorange 10-06-2006 11:46 AM

CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Check out the story below

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218282,00.html

Don't know if it is old or newto some in the field but its news to me as to how CWD canbe spread. This is really going to put the boots to those states that allow baiting for deer as thatwould seem to be an almost guaranteed method of spreading thedisease.(or have most states stopped it already?)The list of possible deer activities that will cause thetransfer of CWDis mind boggling ifyou consider that they only have to share saliva and these prion things seem to be very durable outside the body.BE EXTRA CAREFULWHEN CLEANING ANY DEER AND ALL PARTS OF THEM, INCLUDING BLOOD AND SALIVA, NOT JUST THE BRAIN AND SPINAL CORDTISSUE.Take care all and adjust your actions accordingly. BE SAFE.

HuntmDown 10-09-2006 12:29 PM

RE: CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL

Interesting article. Thanks nyorange.

wyotimberghost 10-10-2006 01:44 AM

Good to know. I'm hunting in a CWD area.

peakrut 10-10-2006 02:50 AM

Good may finally stop the legal baiting in northern Wi.

BlueRidgeRetrievers 10-10-2006 07:27 AM

They've stopped baiting here in VAthrough certain dates... I can only hope that we all can take a moment to put onsurgical gloves or some type of protection while cleaning and taking care of our kills. It might be an inconvience; but, the few seconds it takes to protect ourselves will be well worth it.

Great Article and thanks for posting it up.

:)

game4lunch 10-10-2006 10:18 AM

Very informative. But let's not ignore key words like "probably". Also "Studies would indicate". Fact is, the science community just does not know how it is transmitted, and why it's only in deer and elk. New hunt areas here in Wyoming far from known infected areas are still being discovered. Moose and Antelope still don't get it. AND . . . there is still no eveidence that humans can contract"variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease" from infected animals. (The human version of "mad-cow")
However, free testing can probably be found in your neck of the woods before eating the animal.
Our G&F recommends the following precausions when handling a suspected infected animal:

Wear rubber or latex gloves as a routine precaution when field dressing.
- Minimize handling of brain and spinal tissues and was
h hands afterward.
- When butchering, meat should be boned out.
- Do not eat the brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen or lymph nodes of harvested animals.
- Hunters should not harvest or eat wild animals that appear sick.

When's the last time you had a good bowl of deer eye soup?

I remember talking to a G&F biologist a couple years ago and she told me they tested some infected deer at a facility here only to discover that when they took the dead animals out, the deer they put in the same pen also contracted the disease. No saliva there.

So don't be afraid of CWD, just try to understand it.

Hawgnman 10-11-2006 12:25 PM

<<<
I remember talking to a G&F biologist a couple years ago and she told me they tested some infected deer at a facility here only to discover that when they took the dead animals out, the deer they put in the same pen also contracted the disease. No saliva there.
>>>

No saliva??

The deer were at feeders, fences, and many other items in the pens. There is saliva everywhere!!! Just because it has dried doesn't mean there's no CWD prions.

Slackdaddy 10-11-2006 08:10 PM

CWD-SPREAD BY SALIVA-BE CAREFUL -

DANG IT ALL !!!!
I guess I am going to have to STOP making out with My deer before field dressing, at least no more "tounging" them.

Slack over

olickey 10-11-2006 10:30 PM

Aside from not making out with them, you can cover the head with a plastic bag after the kill. That way you don't touch the eyes either.

Southern Man 10-11-2006 11:49 PM

A report by anti hunting media and anti gun media.