Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

River Crossing?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Default River Crossing?

I ran into a unique (to me)situation the other day while scouting some new property. There is a walking trail that leads along the side of an overgrown field, crosses the river and leads into a bigger series of overgrown fields. The fields have waist high growth of mostly goldenrods and sumac.

I got to the river crossing and saw lots of tracks all going the same direction and following the trail. There were at least 30 sets of tracks. The odd thing was that every single track lead in the same direction. The river has really steep banks on one or both sides. The banks are at least six feet tall and in some cases as much as ten feet tall. So, the crossing opportunities are limited. I figure they must be going in a loop and crossing at another place along the riverand traveling inthe opposite direction.

Has anyone experienced this before? If so did you hunt the crossing and when did you see the most activity morning or evening? This place is totally new to me and this was the first chance I've had to scout there, but I'll definitely be back.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 PM

Default RE: River Crossing?

Have a spot that is very similar,, the other side of the river has a crop field about 100 yards away. They cross over too the crop field side in the cover of night upriver a little ways. First thing in the morning they cross back over too the side of the river I can hunt. They do a "loop" as well.Weve killed several very nice bucks in the first 30 minutes of legal time(its a parade), a few at midday. Afternoons its not worth hunting this spot(weve never seen a deer in the afternoon). Is there a crop on one side of the river or other?

Several times weve had the guy who hunts the crop field on the opposite side of the river push the deer right too us. They always stop too get a drink half way across. make sure you have tall boots or waders handy,, several times weve dropped them in 6-10 inches of water while they stop too drink!

Walk along the river and find another shallow spot,, you will see the ripple on the water,, usually in a straight part of the river. they dont like swimming if they dont have too!

EXCELLENT PLACE TOO HUNT ALL MORNING DURING THE RUT!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:23 PM

There are not any crops on this property, but the oak trees are really producing well on both sides of the river. The property is a piece of public property. The crossing is at least 1.2 miles from any of the parking areas, so I doubt many people will venture that far in.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the same thing, yet I still managed to see bird hunters... Anyway, I like hunting near rivers. It is nice scenery and the deer like it. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I livee in Va. I ran into somthing very simular it seemed that many deer runs all led to the same spot on a creek the deer all seemed to cross at the same spot and went in many different directions after. But for some reason it seemed they all crossed there and this was in the middle of the woods no crops or anything just woods on both sides. I took 17 deer there in my 5 years of hunting there acording to my notes. You may have found you a honey whole and a half. A house sits on that spot today.