HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does snoring attract deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/158348-does-snoring-attract-deer.html)

DeerWhisperer 10-05-2006 05:05 PM

Does snoring attract deer?

It has happened to me a few times while hunting. I fall asleep and wake myself up due to my snoring and see a deer almost instantly.
I have also heard of this happening to ither hunters. Tell me your thoughts on this and let us know if it has ever happened to you.
Are deer attracted to snoring?

alleganydeerslayer 10-06-2006 01:56 AM

RE: Does snoring attract deer?

Boonebreaker 10-06-2006 02:17 AM

That reminds me of a question I often ponder in my stand waiting for a deer to come by, when a tree falls in the woods, and nobodys around does it make a noise?

Boonebreaker 10-06-2006 02:27 AM

Sorry, it just sounds funny, when I first started hunting, that was similar to my dad's theory, he told me take a nap and when you wake up you will see deer, and by golly it worked...Although I don't think they were attracted to my snoring noise. Rather I think it was the fact I did not spook them with any movement,...

m.t.hands 10-06-2006 02:42 AM

i have a friend that i fish together with on a fairly regular basis, one year he went with me to fish mid florida in feb, well one afternoon we took us a little nap, he woke me up laughing, he said you sound just like a deer going thru the woods grunting, he said all the years i just thought you were extremely lucky, now i find out your an ace at callin em in, to this day he dosen't let me live it down, a couple of years ago, i was all warm and comfortable (bad combination for me) he came down from his stand, it was snowing pretty good, and he said "hey are you asleep" of course i said no, he told me he had just run deer of from in front of me @ 35 yrds. i told him i had been watchin a bigger buck back behind them:eek:, anyway i have woke up several times and had deer around me[&:], i try to stay awake but it just happens, i still feel i am lucky to have killed the deer i have;)

ultra man 10-06-2006 02:44 AM

I thought I was the only one this happens to. I work the night shift, and am an avid hunter, but cant help to doze off after I'm settled in my stand at pre-dawn sometimes. I can recall many times I've woke up to have a deer within 20 yards of me. Once a spike was literally five feet from my nose while I slept at the base of a big pine.I would'nt condone sleeping in any tree-stand, however the climber I use has a seat that cradles me below the main-frame, making it impossible to roll out. I had a friend who used to take his cordless screw gun and tape the trigger so it was barely running, and leave it near his stand. Sometimes the curisoty of the sound gets to em I guess.

m.t.hands 10-06-2006 02:52 AM

ultra, i use an ole'man climber with a web seat, side rails that help hold you in, and a sop safety harness, i do some of my best sleeping there, and every now and then kill a deer

Tut23 10-06-2006 04:11 AM

ive never really fallen a sleep in the stand that i can re-call i know my dad and has woken up to deer.. and i know for a fact he snores really loud...

nohillbilly 10-06-2006 06:41 AM

I break all the rules and still see deer. Last year I trew my ladder stand in the back of my truck and drove it up in the woods. After setting up the stand and clearing shooting lanes I pulled the truck up the logging road about 50 yards and went back to the stand to hunt it before dark. After smoking a cigarette, eating some beef jerky, and drinking some Gatorade, I fell asleep. Woke up about 20 minutes later to a seven point basket rack hitting a scrape 15yards frommy stand! I let him live another year because he showed potential to be a nice buck. After he walked off I noticed the three does checking out my truck. There must be something about a 30 year old gas and oil leaking truck and a snoring fat guy in a tree that deer like. :D

kevin1 10-06-2006 08:49 AM

I fall asleep sometimes when the action is slow , pop-up blinds can be soooo comfy sometimes , and after I wake up I see that deer have been there or still are . I snore like a Stihl chainsaw according to my wife , so I guess it does attract them . They must know that they're safe from me as long as they hear that racket ... :D