Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gotta pee, what do i do?

Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gotta pee, what do i do?

let it fly
Old 09-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I like gatorade bottles (Wide mouth).
Old 09-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let 'er rip. Study after study after study has shown that deer cannot recognize human scent from urine. Too many hunters I respect on here and elsewhere that pee off their stands all the time and continue to take world-class bucks.

Here's one I got a couple years ago... Sixth time I'd seen him, just couldn't get a shot. And I pee off my stand all the time. If the pee bothered him, he'd been long gone before I ever had a chance to put an arrow through him...

Old 09-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Let 'er rip. Study after study after study has shown that deer cannot recognize human scent from urine. Too many hunters I respect on here and elsewhere that pee off their stands all the time and continue to take world-class bucks.

Here's one I got a couple years ago... Sixth time I'd seen him, just couldn't get a shot. And I pee off my stand all the time. If the pee bothered him, he'd been long gone before I ever had a chance to put an arrow through him...

Great deer Greg! Congrat's
Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell you what after spend all the money I have on scent free gear and all the other stuff I have to keep my human scent down I am not going to pee from my tree!!! I use a bottle and cap it as soon as I'm done I don't know if it matters or not but I'm not going to find out the hard way. And if it bothers a deer you will never know as he may smell it well before you would ever see him. I know people say they saw deer sniffing human pee. Well I also heard of deer sneffing ciggerett smoke but I would never smoke on stand eather (I don't smoke) but if I did I could not think of a more ass nine thing to do! Ever smell an ash tray. Some one climbed up in one of my stands onece when I wasen't there and smoked and threw the butts on the ground the next time I took that stand all I could smell was the butts. Oh but we were talking about pee. OK
Old 09-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just tie a couple half hitches in it, a slip knot and a bow. Then I untie it later& goback at camp.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Has anyone mentioned the Spare Bladder product yet? You can get them at Gander, Cabelas, etc. I've never tried it, but its supposed to turn your pee into a contained, scent-free gel-like substance. Mmmm, sounds appealing!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too many to reply to all but here goes;
Button buck maser- You're welcome, I'm glad I could clear that up for you. I guess you've never heard of "the doe test"? Of course just because they're stupid doesn't mean they can't bust you?!. You could get busted by anything if you make a noise, move or stink at the wrong time.
The lone wolf - Totally wrong huh? I guess no one else should be able to post. You can just keep providing your sound wisdom and we'll just read and study your gospel. First, you didn't read my post. I said "was it because I hadn't pissed on the ground?" Obviously he picked up on either my scent, or my slight movements while watching the other deer. Either way, he wasn't comfortable. And I do pay strict attention to my scent, and that is one of the main reasons that I don't piss on the ground. Further, I did recognize that it won't matter to some animals. But I think it's pretty safe to say that you're being a little too confident in your knowledge of deer to state that it won't matter to any of them. You don't know the history of any given animal, or what it has learned over the course of its life, so you can not predict, at least with certainty, how an animal will react to your personal piss. Piss is a huge factor in the woods to all animals, most of them use it as a form of communication. Just watch your dog. Animals know a lot more about your piss than you think. I've heard statements like "they'll think you're a rival buck", okay, that may be true. And if so, an dominant buck may come your way looking for a fight. But, if you're looking to hunt that way, put some buck urine down. Under the same scenario, the does may not be ready to mate, and will want to stay away from mature bucks, so they may also mistake your piss for a buck and move in another direction, and guess what - that buck you're looking for, is probably following them! I've seen does stay well clear of estrus doe piss. They looked as if they'dwalked straight into a brick wall as soon as it touched their noses. They then made a circle around the piss andwent on their way. They weren'taware that I was there, but theywere going to make sure that they didn't step in that piss. Why is that? I don't know for sure, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that they were not in heat. And they really didn't want to smell like they were in heat and get raped by a horny buck.
NYBowhunter - if you truly believe that pissing on the ground helps, then I apologize for using the term lazy. I wish you all the best, and truly hope you have a very successful and enjoyable season. However, if you just think well I'll bet it doesn't matter, so youjust don't bring abottle to piss in. And when you do start to pee you have feeling that maybe you could be messing up your area, you'rebeing lazy, by not making an effort to do everything possible to be discrete. And if you're in the situation I just mentioned, I'll bet there are other shortcuts you're taking that also don't seem to be important to you.
monsterbucks2011said something to the effect of "all your piss does is turn into ammonia, so they'll only smell ammonia anyway". Wow, I'm going to break my own rule here and say WRONG! I usually try to state opinions, and not present my opinions as fact, because I'm not the self-proclaimed master deer hunter. But if you think about that statement, it can not be accurate. I can personally tell the difference between, human, cat, dog and deer piss. And I'm willing to bet most of you can as well. My nose does not work any better than any of yours, but through life experiences I've come to know the difference. I have four kids, so I know what their piss smells like. Thier diapers have leaked on the clothes, they've wet their beds and they've pissed right on the floor when we'd let them run around naked as infant/tot. If you walk into a house where cats piss on the floor can you tell? I can. Because it has a "cat piss" smell to it. A puppy will have accidents too, until he learns, and since I have a dog,who used to be a puppy, and I've cleaned up his piss to, I know what it smells like. Lastly, Deer!I've carried a lot of doe piss around over the years, soI can recognize it also. So, if people go into the woods (the deer's home), and subsequently over hunt their area, or just not do a good job of not being recognized, and they pee on the ground. I'm quite sure that the deer in that area learn who that pee belongs to, or is associated with. Not individually, but as large sneaky primate pee, that is probably also usually accompanied by hoppe's #9, K-9 companion (that may or may not be with the hunter at the time), chew, smoke, food and drink and so on.

By the way Greg - great deer! The most I ever saw a good mature buck and still got him was four times. I was so excited it kind of felt like the fist one! Awesome!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

unzip and let'r rip
Old 09-28-2006, 11:19 AM

after seeing that deer I am going to piss all over the place

Quick Reply: gotta pee, what do i do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.