Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dragging a scent trail

Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 PM

Default dragging a scent trail

how well do scent trails work? what kind of deer scent works good
for making scent trails? have you shot deerthat where using scent trails? i will be hunting a ridge for rifle season i am thinking about making a scent trail down the ridge and back.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: dragging a scent trail

I love using scent trails during the rut. I have had manydeer follow a scent trail. It always works best if you can run it on a used trail. I have used many different doe estrus scents. They work pretty good
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

James Valley scents work very well.. Ive had great sucess during the RUT with these products.good luck..
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM

Southern Whitetail Scent's Hyper Heat (freshly collected doe estrous) has been very productive for us. www.southernwhitetailscents.com
Old 09-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I stuck a nice buck last year who actually left three does he was chasing and came right down my scent trail. I was using code blue standing estrous and I have never seen a deer react like he did. I know it's expensive, but man did it ever work
Old 10-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

mndeer..its one of the better strategies
Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Code Blue works pretty well too.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Spike

Great tactic! This early in the season, buck scents work best. James Valley's Wallhanger is a real good one. Closer to the rut, switch over to doe in heat scents.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:48 PM

Many years ago, I used to drag scent into my tree stands while bow hunting. I used unscented tampons; that string worked pretty well. While coming out of my stand one morning, I ran into the farmer that owned the land. He kept looking at my boot and then at me and was trying to figure out what the hell I had hangingoff my foot. He finally asked and when I told him he laughed so hard that he started to cry!

It’s hard to act tough when someone calls"Tampon Boy"!

I've kind of gotten out of the practice, but think I'll start again this year. I'm just going to have to sneak it on to my wife's shopping list.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always wondered, how does a deer know what way to go on your scent trail. Let's say a buck hits your laid down trail in the middle, how do you know he will come toward you, instead of going toward where you started at?

Quick Reply: dragging a scent trail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.