Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer keep smelling me and leaving >

Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Deer keep smelling me and leaving

I've been busted the last 3 times I've been in my treestand. It's good that I'm actually having deer come close but I still haven't actually seen them.

I wash my clothes in sports wash with baking soda. I dry them by themselves and then I put them in a plastic bag. I keep my boots seperate and only wear them hunting. I spray down with earth cover scent and I shower right before with triclosan.

I'm in a tree stand about 25 feet off the ground and I don't smoke or chew or eat anything. I don't move too much and I periodically use cover scent on my clothes.

I keep hearing the snorting noise. Last night was 4 snorts and then movement. This morning was 10 or 12 snorts and then nothing for about 45 minutes when I heard more snorts and then nothing. I did hear a few grunts in between the snorts but they were further off in the distance.

Any suggestions? My stand is on the best tree in the area so it's pretty difficult to hunt the wind. Plus, it always seems that this buck is able to then circle around me and pick me up.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Have you ever thought of using ScentLoc clothing?
I'm sorry, just having fun!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:04 AM

I'm gun/truck poor and I hunt in SC where the temps are still in the eighties. I sweat like mad just wearing a short sleeve shirt and hat. However, I may still buy some but it will definitely be during the hunting gear clearance sales after the season ends.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Navy, is it possible there's someone else hunting near you?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the the world of deer hunting.

The fact is the deer win most of the time. However if you don't hunt in a tree that is down wind then your going to lose almost every time. If the wind is not right then don't hunt it. They will soon have you patterned because you've hunted that same stand too often when the wind is wrong. Also be aware of how you enter your hunting spot. Their is no easy way or magic product that will make you invisible. Just be aware of the wind and adjust the way you hunt.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 AM

Early, no there's no one else for at least 2 miles or so across some nasty marsh type stuff.

Ky, that's probably it. I've been hunting this area now for about 2 solid weeks. So what do I do now? Do I pack up my stand and move to a new spot? This one location was awesome.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

no leave your stand there just let it rest for about three days and play the wind heavily
Old 09-23-2006, 12:45 PM

Do you drink the night before? If so that may be your problem. Or just from sweating in the SC weather that may out your chances.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

sweating in sc or nc si going tohappen deer are used to it LOL
Old 09-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best spot in the world isn't going to do you any good if the deer know your there. If this is the only spot you can hunt then you'll be better off to just hunt it every once in a while when the wind is right.

You need to have several places to hunt so you can spread you time out in several stands. This way they can't pattern you.

Once I had a hot spot over looking a corn field. The first time I hunted it I saw 19 deer. Every time after that I saw less and less until nothing showed up during daylight . It will not take long for deer to pattern you. So the best thing is to keep them guessing. Hunt different areas instead of just the one spot.

Now in the rut when bucks are on their feet all day you may get away with over hunting a stand more because a lot of different bucks will be searching for does. New bucks will be in your hunting area that may have never been there. Good luck.....

Quick Reply: Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.