Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer keep smelling me and leaving >

Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Old 09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer keep smelling me and leaving

I know guys that wont eat meat for a week before hunting or during. They say it makes you smell like a predator(?) My wifes uncle was in Nam. He said American an enemy soldierscould smell each other. Deer can smell a lot better than we can. As for smoking in the woods, i think deer get curios about it. My father has always smoked on stand. He never goes with out a buck. Are you using a cover scent? I use Fox pee on my boots. I have had deer follow me to my stand walking with their nose to the ground the whole time. I also leave my hunting close and boots outside over night while hunting.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

did you ever try leaving the stand and hunt off the ground, Navy? If they sense that you are in the woods, they may be cautious around the stand, but leave themselves open for a ground attack. Just a thought.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It might be the doe pee. Most manufacturers collect when the doe is in heat, which this time of the year is not happening. Also if it is Tinks, I have never used the stuff when deer haven't "snorted", I might catch heat over that but it still remains true for me. Also, for like $30 buy a strap on seat and hunt downwind of your stand. Watch where you enter swing wide and when the deer are closing in to the area where they are winding you, you may catch them.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 AM

I THINK LIKE KAMIL GET RID OF THE LEATHER BOOTS AND GET EVEN A CHEAP PAIR OF RUBBER ONES.YOU HAVE TRIED2 AREAS NOW AND HAVE BEEN BUSTED IN BOTH.YOU SAY YOU HAVE HAD YOUR BOOTS FOR YEARS NOW. LEATHER HOLDS SCENT FOR A LONG TIME, THINK OF ALL THE THINGS IT HAS PICKED UP OVER THE YEARS.SPRAYING THEM WON'T COVER ALL THE SCENT.PLAY THE WIND, BUT I THINK YOU WILL HAVE BETTER LUCK GOING WITH RUBBER BOOTS.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your hunting a pretty smart deer.
Wouldn't complain about...Make me want to know who's smarter me or him...
Funny cause I just watched a hunting program,in which a hunter had the same problem as you.
On the last day she finally arrowed a doe but even than, the deer new something was wrong, the hunter just got lucky....
Don't know what to say.Could be scent could also be these deer have been pressured into the hole your hunting and are wary of anything.......
Animals squirrls chipmunks birds do give you away in a situation like this.......
That chirping does mean something,to smart deer...
Its happened to me....
Problem I don't like about stands is prevailing winds..
Could be the fact your scent is circling the entire area your hunting.......
All it takes is one to deer to smell you out and everything around knows it..
I wear leather boots but I use 100% BEESWAX to protect them.....
It works, you may not like the colour boots come out afterwords but
its the most natural protectant I can think of......
I stay away from silicons and other artificial smelling oilsbase protectants
that leave odour behind....
Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 PM

I recently read an article which states that 80% of human scent comes from your breath. Try chewing on some alfalfa or any local plant or branch. Maybe even some of that gum-o-flauge stuff. It's possible that human breath is your problem. good luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds liek the dee rhave you patterned, id let the stand rest a few days.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you have to take a step back and look at this entire picture. You have been hunting the same area for 2 weeks and you think the deer realize you're there? You should understand that those deer knew you were there after the 2nd or 3rd time. Sometimes we can give the whitetail deer too much credit, but not in this case.

A hunter can do everything that he/she feels is right and still get busted if you overhunt any area. They may not hear you, they may not see you but they sure can smell you. They knew exactly what direction you came infrom and exactly what direction you left. They knew this hours after you left by the scent you left behind as soon as they cut YOUR track.If you even touch any branches or leaves with your bare hands, you have left your scent behind. I mentioned this before, those molecules you leave are quickly picked up by the deer who's sense of smell is described as uncomprehensableto humans. A sense of smell that is 150 times better than any dog.

Some folks mentioned using rubber boots....maybe a good idea. But I'll bet most of the people that wear rubber boots use their bare hands to put them on, thus contaminating the boots right from the start. Those nasty human molecules are now on you boots. Simply wearing gloves helps tremandously. Taking a stroll in a stream to rinse your boots helps as well.

So how do we successfully hunt these animals? IMHO, to keep moving to different locations after a day ot two. Keep them guessing. I think your best odds are the first time you hunt an area. That new area can be onlya few hundred yard away. Sure deer can be shot after a week in the same stand, but it's not the deer that pass thought that area on a regular basis that know your setup. This is especially true of that big old adult buck.

Trying to stay a scent free as possibly,hunting with the wind in your favor,not using the same way to enter and exit your stand andmoving to a different location so you don't let every deer in your woods know you're there. These are my recommendations.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer in my area must be the dumbest deer alive...compared to those who have to play the wind, Scent-Loc clothing, watching where you step getting to your stand, etc...

The old man that hunts the property next to ours rocks overalls, a CaseInternational hat,and puffsa cigar ½ the time.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

All great advice. I'd have to say especialy the rubber boots and changing locations. If they keep going by you, is it always in the same place/path? If so, get down wind of it and put up a quick ground blind. Also, get a bug zapper and look at your clothes under the light. If they glow, the deer can most likely seen them. So instead of you being hidden - you're glowing! Good news is there's a spray you can but to cover those types of dyes. Not sure what it's called because my clothes don't glow, but if you do a search on google you'd find it.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Deer keep smelling me and leaving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.