Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Early Season Muzzy Tactics?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early Season Muzzy Tactics?

[hr] Hey everybody!
I'm getting excited for the deer hunting season to begin! I've been passing my time waterfowlin and will begin deer hunting early season muzzy soon. In the past years I've hunted late, but I thought I'd give early a try this year as I have been unsuccessful in tracking down a big buck the past two years. I figure the deer are still in their "routines" and will be a little easier to hunt as there is a lot of shotgun pressure up here in Iowa. I was wondering if you guys had any "early season" tips for me? We have two corn food plots and a couple known bedding areas. A month or so ago when I was up there checking the food plots I kicked up a pretty nice 10 point still in velvet and am hoping he's still around. I don't want to scrounge around too much as season opens in 3 weeks and I don't want to spook anything. Any ideas?

Thank!
Joey
Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Early Season Muzzy Tactics?

I like to find the food the bucks are keying on, and if you know that you have a good one in the area. DO NOT PRESSURE HIM!! Set up a ways back the first night, and see if you can locate where he is comming from, and where he is headed. Big bucks are on the feed this time of year, but don't think they aren't checking on the does. I would be very carful in the mornings if you are hunting the fields. Don't let him get you patterned, or it is over. GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how you do.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Good set of Binoc's!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

What do you mean by "be very carful in the mornings if you are hunting the fields?" I was reading an article on early season hunting and it said don't even bother hunting in the morning because you spook too many deer, go out late morning and hunt the afternoon. What do you guys think? What scents do you think? Estrus later in the season, around October 21? I also just bout tarsal gland scent...what do you think? I live in Iowa by the way.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: brushbuster07

What do you mean by "be very carful in the mornings if you are hunting the fields?" I was reading an article on early season hunting and it said don't even bother hunting in the morning because you spook too many deer, go out late morning and hunt the afternoon.
That must be in Iowa, because in FL it's at first light, middle of the day and atdusk.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

They just made the statement that a lot of deer are moving from feed area to bedding area and that is where your stand will most likely be...
Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

You answered your own question. If the deer are in the fields in the morning and they will be. You can bump them or spook them by walking across a dark field not knowing what is out there. I am also from Iowa. I also have had some luck with a decoy. Botom line is if he isn't there you can't kill him. The most important thing is to know you have a good one to hunt. Good Luck!!

What do you mean by "be very carful in the mornings if you are hunting the fields?" I was reading an article on early season hunting and it said don't even bother hunting in the morning because you spook too many deer, go out late morning and hunt the afternoon. What do you guys think? What scents do you think? Estrus later in the season, around October 21? I also just bout tarsal gland scent...what do you think? I live in Iowa by the way.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

brush, I laughed at the "you can't kill him if he isn't there" line. True! But, you can't kill'm if you're home in bed. Get out and hunt! I live a little north of you and have hunted Iowa deer for almost 40 years. Let's use a little comon sense here and think about what our deer see every day - people and cars and dogs and you get the point. Iowa deer can't run to the next county every time they see a hunter. There aren't enough counties.Sure, they will go nocturnal, but they won't go to Mexico. Maybe in the mountains or big forest areas they will move out, but our deer are basically homebodies. Having said that, wash your huntin' clothes, take a shower and get out there. I'm not a big fan of scents, but use them if you want. Figure out where they eat and where they sleep, then hunt in between those places. Good luck! Jim
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I don't see what was funny about "you can't kill him if he isn't ther" You walk around blind in open fields, and think you won't spook a deer and make him move or make hime go nocturnal your crazy. If he's nocturnal he might as well be on another property. I agree deer see humans and cars and farmers most of which are not trying to kill them. So bottom line is you spook a big boy or start walking all over your ground in the dark your chances of killing him will drop big time. He don't get big being dumb!!!
ORIGINAL: 2eagles

brush, I laughed at the "you can't kill him if he isn't there" line. True! But, you can't kill'm if you're home in bed. Get out and hunt! I live a little north of you and have hunted Iowa deer for almost 40 years. Let's use a little comon sense here and think about what our deer see every day - people and cars and dogs and you get the point. Iowa deer can't run to the next county every time they see a hunter. There aren't enough counties.Sure, they will go nocturnal, but they won't go to Mexico. Maybe in the mountains or big forest areas they will move out, but our deer are basically homebodies. Having said that, wash your huntin' clothes, take a shower and get out there. I'm not a big fan of scents, but use them if you want. Figure out where they eat and where they sleep, then hunt in between those places. Good luck! Jim
Old 09-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

willyd5, What's up with the attitude? I agreed with what you said. Ithought the comment was funny, not wrong. Jeeze!!!!, I'm going duck hunting, enough of this. [:'(]