HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   My New Stevens 200 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/157222-my-new-stevens-200-a.html)

neck4752 09-21-2006 07:56 AM

My New Stevens 200

Guys,
I bought this gun two weeks ago and took it out of the gun safe to show my buddy the other day and there seems to be some rust forming on the handle to the bolt! Also there are little signs of rust on the barrel but the barrel is not made of rustable material. WTF. I mean it is nothign bad but why is this. I havent even shot the gun yet.
It is a cheapo gun safe.

Red Lion 09-21-2006 08:58 AM

RE: My New Stevens 200

Did you clean it after getting it? Firearms like many other things are not really taken care of/neglected before they get to the customer. I would go ahead and give it a good cleaning, including using steel wool on rust if necessary, and then the problem should be solved. The Stevens is a less expensive rifle, but I think far from cheap in regards to overall value.

NBDeerHunter 09-21-2006 10:08 AM

My savage thought I bought 2 yrs ago started the same thing as soon as I got it home. I cleaned it up good and never had a problem since. I think it is just from not getting some TLC before you bought it. Good gun clean it up and it will be all good

one on one 09-21-2006 01:01 PM

you should always put a lite coat of gun oil on the metal after each use, moisture and finger prints will make onerust. also may want to look into getting a de-humidifierto put in your gun safe.good luck.

longrifle1000 09-21-2006 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: neck4752

Guys,
I bought this gun two weeks ago and took it out of the gun safe to show my buddy the other day and there seems to be some rust forming on the handle to the bolt! Also there are little signs of rust on the barrel but the barrel is not made of rustable material. WTF. I mean it is nothign bad but why is this. I havent even shot the gun yet.
It is a cheapo gun safe.
The barrel is not made of rustable material??? It is steel, it WILL rust.

Sounds like handling rust to me. That is where you have touched the metal, and gotten you salt on it. Clean off the rust, and give it a light coat of good oil. Reaply as necessary as the oil will dry out.

Hiawatha 09-21-2006 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: NBDeerHunter

My savage thought I bought 2 yrs ago started the same thing as soon as I got it home. I cleaned it up good and never had a problem since. I think it is just from not getting some TLC before you bought it. Good gun clean it up and it will be all good
I bought a savage a few years ago a 17hmr cal, same thing happened to me.

abercrombie6704 09-24-2006 08:58 PM

I bought a stevens 200 300 win mag last yr same thing with me

Deadeye777 09-26-2006 12:16 AM

they're all test-fired from the factory to assure performance. unless it was stored in a damp/cool environment for a long time, it's probably not rust but copper. just use a foaming cleaning agent and wipe it clean after 20 minutes.

happened to the outside AND inside of my barrel after three months. Keep a good layer of hopped no.9 or breakfree or some other oil on it after you're dont using it.