Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First time Hunting

Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 AM

Default First time Hunting

Hello everyone.

I'm twenty years old, a college student in Morehead Kentucky. I got my first gun when I was 16, so I'm still new to this. Right now I have an SKS that is in wonderful shape, and I use it frequently to target shoot at the gun range.
This year will be my first time hunting, I'll be with my grandfather on our farm in Spencer Co. Kentucky.

I'm trying not to invest a fortune in equipment. So my question is what do I need? I'm worried about my gun most of all, being it would likely be the most expensive.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Default RE: First time Hunting

Awesome! New hunter, first time, and going out with your Grandfather. Perfect!

I've been actively hunting for about 15 years now(the last 10 more serious than the first 5) and here's what I can tell you:
1. Take good care of your gun, treat it well and be safe and keep it cleaned after every hunt and at the end of every season and it'll last a lifetime!

2. You don't need all the techy stuff they market. A simple wardrobe of camo and hunter orange hat and vest will get you thru many years of hunting. I am still using my first ever set of camo pants and jacket for bow that I bought in 1990! Again, take good care of your stuff and it'll last a lifetime!

3. If you need a stand, there are many out there. I have a Summit and when my son is old enough to hunt in 2 more years he will also get a Summit. I suggest you ask fellow hunters their opinions, you make the final decision. As far as price, they do get expensive. But my opinion is you spend the money to buy the right stand even though it might be a lot of $....but you buy it once and take good care of it and it'll last a lifetime!!

4. You are young. Make sure you stay in shape and take good care of your body. Eat right and exercise and you will be hunting into your 70s!

5. When hunting, be SAFE! Always wear a safety harness when going up and down a tree and while in your stand. Always respect the game you are going after and abide by your local laws and ethics.

Above all else, have fun and enjoy your time in the woods/farm. It's these memories that get you thru the off-season!

Again, take care of your equipment and you will only have to buy it once!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Ditto! NH coveredthe advicewell!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Thank you very much guys- but I guess I wasnt completely clear in my first post.
I own an SKS, 7.62x39 if you dont know. Is this going to be sufficient or do I need something larger? If larger what can you recomend? I can get a used 7.62x54R for $125, which is in my budget.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 PM

THe caliber is large enough for whitetail if that is what you are asking. THe rifle itself is not ideal for hunting, but will suffice. I would not look to take real long shots and probably best to keep a 100 yards or less. If you end up running across a little more money in the future, you may be better served to invest in a different rifle like a .30-30 or .270 or some sort.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 PM

This may be a little too basic but the first thing I think about when I'm getting ready to hunt is the wind. Make sure you have a few differentspots to hunt depending on wind direction. I keep my camo outside on the clothesline overnight.

You might want to look into an NEF Sidekick. They are pretty cheap and you can get different barrels including a muzzle loader barrel.

And keep the safety on till you're ready to shoot!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Go with the K.I.S.S. principle , don't overthink things . The above advice is sound , I started out hunting from the ground using natural cover and still do more often than not . Most of the camo I own was bought as cheaply as possible , my primary weapon of choice is a $150 muzzloader my wife bought me for xmas years ago , my second is a 20 gage smoothbore shotgun I bought a few years ago . Both take deer well . That SKS will definitely take deer down , and since you're hunting those thick woods in Spencer a shot over 100 yards won't be a concern . LOL Listen to your grandpa , he's probably taken more deer than you're likely to .
Old 09-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Check your state laws for maximum capacty on center fire's.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good metal ladder stand, about $125 and a box of good ammunition. I'm not familiar with the caliber you have, but I would stick to a good softpoint bonded bullet. Hitting a deer in the killing spot is the biggest key.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

7.62x39 is more than good on deer, out to about 150yds. I used mil surplus w/open sights for yrs. Dress for the weather and then some. If its cool you will know it after sitting trying to stay as motionless as you can for hrs at a time....... no standing up and doing jumping jacks cause you can't feel your toes or limbs. Listen to your grand-father he more than likely knows the land and how to hunt it.
Be true to yourself, know your limitations and make sure your grandfather knows too. That way you won't be asked to shoot farther or do something that your not ready for.
Have fun and get lots of pics...... I can assure you this will be a hunt you will treasure for a life time.

Quick Reply: First time Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.