Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wisconsin cwd-new laws

Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Default wisconsin cwd-new laws

Hi my name is john poblocki,i am an avid hunter bow and gun,and i live in sauk county wisconsin.Well this is about the new hunting laws,I am just sickened that this state chooses to eradicate its deer herds due to cwd,by giving hunters as many tags as they want,I know for example .In colorado-the state where cwd was discovered 30 yrs ago the first state.that the deer population has risen 62-90% today with no radical kill off of the deer.Theres the proof!Wisconsin says that the deer herd will die of within 20 years if we dont just go along with there kill em all ideas?Would this not deplete the herd faster than the disease itself,which is proven nopt to deplete the population-example colorado?This is big government probably automobile insurance company way to save a buck by having us (lol) kill all the bucks and does .We in wisconsin need to stand up to these politicians and preserve our great deer hunting! We need to get together and stick to our guns and #1 not shoot more than you plan to consume be ethical Please.Sincerly john poblocki.Ps.I will only take one deer this season,Please join me,and take what you can eat.And stand tall and let it be known this is wrong tell em to put our! money towards a cure .The cure is not to kill all the deer!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Default RE: wisconsin cwd-new laws

Im very surprised.It seems people are more interested in equiptment,and pictures of deer ,than the important topics like a state eradicating it's deer herd?

Old 09-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

camoman,
Sometimes I think Wisconsin is using CWD as a crutch for the problem of having too many does. I can ramble on and on about this, but the bottom line is, piss poor management.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Matt in IL touched on a good point here. When I first started hunting, there were "PARTY TAGS" where a group of hunters got together and only one doe could be taken. During the late 80's and into the early 90's hunters had to apply for "HUNTER'S CHOICE" permits that allowed them to take a doe if they wanted to, but these were also very limited.
Around the mid 90's, they (WI DNR) started issuing what they called "BONUS" tags that allowed some hunters to take an exta ANTLERLESS ONLY deer. It wasn't long after the introduction of the bonus tags that the DNR started selling them for $12 each. It was becoming evident that the DNR knew the herd numbers were getting out of control, but there were too many hunters that just refused to kill a doe.
I know several hunters to this day that just can't bring themselves to killing a doe, but they had to learn real quick when CWD came to town and EAB rules went into effect. I personally feel that WI NEEDED two or three good years of EAB to get the doe numbers back under control, but things HAVE gone on too long. The numbers are down a bit now, and the herd looks healthy as ever as far as body size, and overall appearance.
I believe as many do that there is or was some pressure from auto insurance companies to bring deer numbers down as well. I think the DNR may have taken it too far and started killing too many deer. I have sometimes wondered if the CWD thing wasn't used to keep the ANTI's at bay for them killing so many, but I hate to sound like a conspiracy theory junkie. I think Mother Nature has a way of dealing with all her creatures in due time and perhaps CWD was her way here in WI....we'll see how it shakes out eventually.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 AM

Wisconsins problems is the same as it is here in Illinois- too much politics in deer management has taken control away from the real professionals. Of course look what happened in Pennsylvania when they tried to give a real expert (Gary Alt) control over deer management; he was doing things right and a bunch of kill-monger wanna-be deer hunters got politics involved and ran him out of town.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:01 PM

Kill them all ideas? Just because Wis. is trying to better manage there heard now, now your going to say there wrong for that also? For so many years they been a one buck state and only 10 days of rifle hunting to boot. I think its good there letting you kill more deer it's about dang time. If they would have been doing this a long time ago maybe they wouldn't be in the trouble there in now. (Just an FYI I was born and raised in Vilas county Wis. and have hunted there many years.) Another thing if your killing deer just to kill them then get out of the woods I would hope no one would that! Kill what you can eat is right. Just because you can kill 3 or 4 deer doesn't mean you have to, if you have nowhere to put the meat then don't kill the deer. We here in Arkansas can kill 4 deer during our season and we still have deer running all over the place. Heck there even thinking about having a inner city archery hunt in Little Rock and North Little Rock because of all the deer. So don't worry my friend you won't run out of deer in the great state of Wis!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: camoman73

Im very surprised.It seems people are more interested in equiptment,and pictures of deer ,than the important topics like a state eradicating it's deer herd?
Sorry you feel that way. I think you need to look a lot deeper to find the causes of these problems. Wis., like Ill. and the wanna-be state of Pa. have more than one thing in common, but one of the biggest is you just can't shut up. It's not enough that you guys can be happy with your accomplishments and share them with your families, you got to tell the whole country how great you are. Your pride is one of your greatest problems. You've attracted the corrupt and now your reaping your rewards.

Shoot your mouth off you will attract corrupt people! Old as the hills!The greater the object, the faster they will come. Aint you ever heard of the gold rush! This is just the same!

God help the great state of Ohio to keep it's mouth shut!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 AM

I was always taught, don't take more than you can eat. I agree that if you are just going out to kill deer for the heck of it, you need your brain examined.

My dads friend owns 80 acres of private land in Northern Illinois. Ever since this cwd scare came about, there has been "sharpshooters" out their killing anydeer they see. Recently, he has seen 0 deer out their. They completetly killed the population of deer living in that area. Not even a footprint in the snow or mud. That is disqusting.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:39 PM

While I agree that killing the whole deer herd in a portion of the state is rediculous, It will never happen. In fact, I believe that the deer population in the CWD zone has increased do to some people being scared to hunt there. As for giving out too many tags, Istronglydisagree with you. For too long Wisconsin hunters were stuck with shooting only one deer. It is about time that we have the opportunity to shoot more than one. I have enjoyed being able to hunt longer these last few years. Wisconsin has one of the largest deer herds in the country and shooting more does will help our state, not hurt it. Haven't you read any articles about deer management or watched any hunting shows? Shooting more does improves the hunting and increases bucks' potential to reach greater antler mass. I have also shot more deer than I can eat. By doing so and donating the meat to the state sponsored venison donation program, I have helped some hungry people. It's a win-win situation. I get a chance to hunt more deer and someone gets help with their hunger. What is the matter with that. I am also glad that wisconsin has lowered the cost of it's bonus tags in most areas to $2. I do think that Wisconsin could work on making their regulations a little easier.

nodogwhat the heck are you talking about. You don't make any scense.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:57 PM

thanks for the input ! it helps ,and helped me to see different ideas and sides to this story!

Quick Reply: wisconsin cwd-new laws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.