Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 chewing or dipping while in the stand >

chewing or dipping while in the stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

chewing or dipping while in the stand

Old 09-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: chewing or dipping while in the stand

David Sunflower Seeds. Addicted as well. [:@]
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like both are not a problem.!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i never go in the woods without a lip of copenhagen or timberwolf. Not a skoal man myself, except for skoal apple. But anyways i bowhunt off the ground and it doesnt cause me any greif i spit in one spot right between my feet and always quit about 45min before dark and than spray where ive been spitting with scent killer.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

I would think that the deer would actually be attracted to it, much like molasses. Chewing tobacco like Skoal or Cope, has TONS of sugar in it. And when you spit, its mostly the disolving sugar that carries the tobacco juices, which are small. I might start doing it this year in the stand, ive done it off and on anyways for about 4-5 years now, but not usually while hunting.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 AM

I to have had deer come up and smell and even lick my snuff spit off of the tree and ground, as far i can tell it does not seem to spook them. i only think this way becouse i chew and thats what i want to think.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never noticed it having a negative effect. The only bad thing is when you turn your head andget surprised by a monster buck 15 yards behind you, it tends to make you swallow it.[8D] Which in turn creates an awful gagging sound foreign to the buck. Which in turn makes said buck run like hell.[:-]
Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 AM

don't go to the woods without it, but always have a bottle.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

An old friend of mine that I used to shoot indoor archery matches with used to smoke cigars while he was in stand...he took one of the most impressive non-typical, HEAVY chocolate racks I've ever even seen pictures of about 3yrs ago, he admitted that he had about given up on the hunt and had stood up, pee'd out of the stand, and had just lit a fresh cigar when the buck walked out on the field....

Their noses are good, but no matter how good they are, they can't smell it if there's nothing there to smell...keep the wind in your face and you've got nothing to worry about.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Just swallow it.
I agree
Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My belief (in my area especially) is that deer don't fear scents that are new to them. Unlike the professionals who push scent control products on the average hunter, I use earth scent spray and rubber boots from the house to the woods. Even a saturday afternoon trip to Applebee's to watch to college football and grab a beer and sampler platter in my camo doesn't spook deer (in my area) when I go back in.

From my point of view, 75% of the products out today are gimmicks. My grandfather (and at times still today my brother) goes out in every day overalls and work boots...and drops huge deer every fall. Sometimes my brosmokes cigs, other times he'sjamming to his ipod. I'm more conventional, but question the reaction to outside scents whitetails rarely get wind of.

Quick Reply: chewing or dipping while in the stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.