Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunter orange

Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunter orange

Avoid detergents that contain phosphorus.(IT GLOWS)
Icefishermandrop eggshells into their holesto determine the depth of water..
Egg shells are used lots in detergents to make whites and brights appear even whiter and brighter..Andjust because your clothing is camo, and washed in a phosphorus free detergent it may have been all for not,if you don't apply the make up, fail to use some sort of face mask, or if you wear jewelery( such as wedding bands, wristwatches, even glasses).I don't know how many "camoed up hunters" I've seen over the years that could be seen for miles because they neglect to hide the most exposed parts of their body..The neck, face, forehead wrists, hands these parts reflectsunlight bigtime..
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 AM

bucks usually catch on whenever they see movement and does just spook for the sake of it. Last year I was walking down a wide path and happened across a spiker and when I saw him, he heard me. I stoped dead in my tracks and he walked right down the path towards me and stopped within 20 feet. When he got bored he left. Movement brother, movement. The trophies catch on quick and will spot you in a tree because they already know you're there.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM

deer and elk do see everything but as stated it is in what they "perceive" - I have (unintentially) found myself standing in front of both bulls and bucks at under 50 yards dressed in blaze orange with no response whatsoever until I made noise - In one circumstance I walked around the corner on a trail to find a bedded 5 pt bull less than 50 yards looking right at me (it was spike season!) I glassed him, I looked at him through my scope, I flapped my arms, all to no avail BUT when I chirped on a cow talk call he was up and gone in a flash - cows and spike following from out of sight to me (got the spike) Colorado does not allow orange camo no matter what the pattern or size AND your hat must be orange, Oregon does not require any (yet), check local rules for the state and season for sure ! Anyone who thinks orange DOES NOT make you safer does not know what they are doing !! Orange HAT ? ALWAYS !! Orange has not ever cost me an animal but my odor sure has !
Old 04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe they can pick up on bright colors better then others. Specially if its a solid color and not broke up.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM

I wear full blaze orange everything but my boots and gun and I've had a group of 5 does walk right by me at less than 15 yards and not see me. Several looked right at me but didn't get alarmed and kept walking ahead as if nothing was happening.

This was at about 9am in broad day light with me sitting on the ground leaning up against a down oak tree large enough to hide my outline. My orange was brand new with a layer of scent killer sprayed on and no UV sprays or any crap like that.

Here in Iowa you cannot have any camo break-up to your orange, so it wasn't that the colors were broken up. For those of you who do believe deer can see solid color blobs and live in a no-camo blaze orange state, you can always rub some dirt on your orange strategically. I don't think the DNR can hold it against you if you get dirty while hunting.

If you look deep enough, nearly all the "What color/UV can deer see?" studies are sponsored at some level by a company who makes camo/hunting gear that wants "proof" that deer can't see their stuff for obvious financial gain reasons. I do just fine without washing out the UV or any other horse-crap like that. When I have deer spotting me on a regular basis not due to me moving, then will I consider buying into this crap.

Something to keep in mind, hunters were killing deer while wearing non-patterned blaze orange a long time before these UV killers and Scent cover technology came along.

It's not like no one had ever gotten a deer without UV killer or without Scentlok.

A helluva lot more deer have been killed WITHOUT those overpriced products than with!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Heres a great article on this subject: http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/story?page=c_fea_QDMA_what_deer_see
Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

I personally think it's all about movement and scent. If a deer can smell you they will be scared and more then likely run. If they see something move that isn't normally in the woods...they're gone
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

according toa recent study posted onthis site deer can't see red, or green, but can see yellow blue and possibly UV?

I agree its how they perceive it to an extent, which is why I love blaze camo.....and even though my home state doesnt allow it, i do own it because some states I hunt does, and anything to break up your outline on game has my vote....

if a deer can't see a 4x8' sheet of plywood due to the color......they can't see it, but when that sheet blocks stuff they can see, they will notice something happening.....

Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have done some research on this and what I came up with can gather is deer can see UV especially at dusk and dawn.. And I think there was a time when Camo makers tried to make thier patterns stand out by enhancing the colors with UV brighteners and Detergents did the same thing by adding UV brightners to thier products.. Now that Outfitters have discovered the UV conection they stopped putting in the UV brightners, but today's detergent still use it.. Just make sure you use some modern camo patterns and use scent free detergent with no UV brightners and remember to sit still
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM

Or just don't wash your hunting clothes.

Quick Reply: hunter orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.