Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunter orange

Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 AM

Default RE: hunter orange

i believe that deer are color blind too..

as they've said, " MOVEMENT", "SCENT" and "NOISE"

I wear the orange to and fro the stand ..

sad[X(] but true, we have stupid hunters just like stupid drivers..

i wear a minium orange vest in the name of "SAFTEY" and "MY LIFE"

hi hopes the stupid hunter isn't color blind too !
Old 09-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kybowhunter423

I have a question, but cant seem to get a straight answer.... Can deer see our hunter orange vest/hats, most people says yes, and some with say no, that deer are color blind? was woundering what is your thought about this
Here's your answer from a recent study of deer vision:

Yes , they can see orange , especially Blaze Orange . Use some UV killer on that Blaze and your orange will become just another splash of orange in a sea of yellows and oranges in the Fall woods . I had a spike look dead at my orange covered head last season and walk right on by me since I didn't move , it was the last mistake he ever made . Movement will get you busted way more often than color .
Old 09-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Yes , they can see orange , especially Blaze Orange . Use some UV killer on that Blaze and your orange will become just another splash of orange in a sea of yellows and oranges in the Fall woods .
So how would you explain this in an area like mine that has no more orange background and just shades of grey and brown and white snow ?...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Spike

I have had deer come with in 10 feet of me, i was wearing 100% hunter orange. I was siting on the ground but i was up set by a tree that was covering my outline. I thank the deer see your outline and they know it was not there before and that is why they see you.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Spike

I agree with kevin1 the deer bust you more on movement and scent then any thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer are color blind, but can see UV and the colors blue/yellow, so dont use any of that and they cant see you anymore than the stuff around you.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear it to and from the stand during general gun season and always while i run dogs. I think movement has more to do with getting busted than the orange color. There has been many times where i leave the orange vest on the ground when i amsittingin the treestand and deer walk right by it and don't pay it any attention.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with all of those that stated that it is movement that gets you busted everytime. I soak all of my hunting clothes in a UV eliminating wash before hunting season and them keep them away from all clothes washed with regular soap. The amount of phospherous they put in regular soap to brighten clothing is amazing (just look at the side of a box). Watch your outline also. Use the terrain to your advantage.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

someone just posted a link about a study testing deer sight......proved deer could see UV, yellow, and blue, but not red, or green. If your clothing, or blaze orange has UV brightners in it, they say you stand out like a giant blue popsicle.....or xmas tree blinking.

so the color orange isnt suppose to be a color they can see, but UV.....it may have/probably so yes! but again breakup/outline breaking up is key, which is why blaze camo were legal everywhere.

they now make a blacklight flashlight so you can test your clothing in the store to see if it contains UV brightners. the article/link stated UV washes may help but wont elimiinate. best way is to avoid that clothing that contains them. Most clothes from china are now containing them they stated, look around on here for the link/ad.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 PM

It's required here in ohio and i have no problem wearing it. Yeah the deer saw me but they didn't smell me, thus they walked on by. I shot my doe at 10 yards, she had no idea i was there, she could't smell me at all.

Quick Reply: hunter orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.