Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunter orange

Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Default hunter orange

I have a question, but cant seem to get a straight answer.... Can deer see our hunter orange vest/hats, most people says yes, and some with say no, that deer are color blind? was woundering what is your thought about this
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunter orange

I think deer see everything they look at, it's how they perceive it. This dictates how they react to it!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've had deer spot me 20 feet up in a tree stand with total camo and I've had them spot me with an orange cap on. I honestly don't know, but it is legally required where I hunt.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been busted in a tree at 20 feet head to toe in camo and good cover! I've also had deer 10 feet from me and never see me when I was 100% covered in Hunter orange!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think that it is so much the colour, but having a large solid pattern makes you loose the edge. The U.V. reflection/neon affect can't be good. Have you ever held the orange near something white and notice the orange reflection? Orange with an allowable cam pattern would be a nice comprimise.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't buy into the scent lock, or "UV" BS!
I don't hunt where Blaze Orange is required, so I don't wear it!
If I was required to wear it, I'd break it up with a camo pattern for sure!
MOVEMENT, is what deer are likely to pick up on anyway!
I don't care what you are wearing, if you move too much, you are going to get busted!
Personally, If I had to wear it, I'd wear the absolute minimum, and break it up in a camo pattern!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Spike

Solid orange will star to cause a silouet, so movmant will be notcied more easily. If you wear camo orange you will not have the same outline that a solid vest would give you. Wearing to dark a camoflage for your terain can also make you silouet reguardless if the image is broken up with camo. So it is not just about color but what your backround is.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Spike

Where I live it's required to wear orange during rifle season and it can't be camo pattern. Do I think it matters not really but I always break up my silhout with what ever is handy in the field branches,grass,whatever.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they can't see the orange but will see the solid pattern. Camo orange is not permitted in my state . I always wear orange on the ground
A buddy of mine almost got shot last year when he got lost on state land and was wearing just an orange hat. There are some nuts out there that will shoot at sound in the bushes. I think deer can see some other colors . They don't see in a true black and white
Old 09-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an orange camo outfit to break up my out line but it’s movement that will alert a deer more then color...

Quick Reply: hunter orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.