Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

favorite hunting literature

Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default favorite hunting literature

What hunting related literature do you guys like to read? Any good books you can recomend? What are your favorites or the most useful ones?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:11 PM

Default RE: favorite hunting literature

I have read all the Richard Marcinko Rogue Warrior Books. Now I have the History of the Universty of Florida Gators book I just started reading.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was younger I read just about everything....Back then Field & Stream and Outdoor Life we good reads...I don't mean for this to sound cocky, but I just don't read many hunting magazines anymore...I got to where I realized that I had much more hunting experiences than the guys writing the articles....I do still pick up North American Whitetail and Dixie Gun Works Black Powder mag...I do subscribe to NC Wildlife and sometimes pick up NC Game & Fish....As far as books, Jack O'Conner wrote 2-3 that I found in a local antiques store, as far as I'm concerned, he forgot more than most of the younger guys ever knew...

Most of my leisure reading now is on American History...I live near where Daniel Boone moved to when he was about 16...and he live in NC until he was about 35 or so....My favorite deer rifle is a .54 caliber flintlock that I made 16-17 years ago and I'm always interested in any books showing original flintlocks...The Foxfire V is a good read about flintlock rifles, and I also have read several times Patroits, The Men Who Started the American Revolution and Allan Eckerts series like Frontiersmen...
Old 09-15-2006, 02:59 PM

all of Peter Hathaway Capstick's books...Death In The Long Grass, Death In Silent Places, ect.

-Travis-
Old 09-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Favorite and most useful?

Huntingnet forums
Old 09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My fav for years now has been Deer and Deer hunting Mag.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:58 PM

second dannyd..
as those books puts me alseep..

the forum keeps me working..
Old 09-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some are books written by Greg Miller, Capsticks, Howard Hill, Maurice Thompson, Samuel Bakers "The Rifle and Hound in Ceylon", Don Higgins. Also"The old man and the boy" by Robert Ruark and Jim Corbett's "Man-eaters of Kumaon". One good book on reading and understandig Topo's, can't remember who wrote it. Great history books that include hunting stories by G.A. Henty along with some fictional ones like "Moby Dick", what a great book. And a must read by Buck Peterson.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huntingnet-dot-com!
I still read hunting mags but, after a while you realize that they are just mostly re-hash, and paid advertizements!
American Hunter, and American Rifleman, (because I believe in the NRA!) But they are ALL mostly biased by paid advertizing!
When is the last time you've read an article like "So-and So Inc. is trash!???"
You don't, and won't!
No one is going to trash "So-and So Inc." while they have a full-page add on the very next page!
Again, I like to read some of the rags, but if anyone knows of a truely unbiased one please let me know!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just finished reading Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World by Don Higgins. It's a great read, and chock-full of good info.

You can read about it here at www.higginsoutdoors.com

Quick Reply: favorite hunting literature

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.