Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you believe in ScentLok?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:31 AM

Default RE: Do you believe in ScentLok?

Nothing beats playing the wind. Deer cannot smell you if you are downwind of them no matter what you are wearing or how bad you smell. Odor containment clothing does work to some degree .... BUT ... it is not fool proof and you must wear the head cover. It also loses its effectiveness over time and I am not sure that it can be "re-charged" in a clothes dryer, at least fully. A lot of variables come into play as to just how effective it is. For example- how new is the suit, are you wearing it properly, how clean were you when you put it on, how far downwind is the animal, what are the thermals doing etc etc etc etc
Old 09-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO[:'(]
Old 09-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own any, but I have paid attention to my friends hunting success since buying Scentlock suits. 3 years later, they have continued killing decent bucks, same as before. They swear by it, but as a neutral 3rd party, I can't see that they are doing any better with it that they did w/o it. I'll continue to play the wind, shower before I go, and store my clothers in the scentfree container. Scentlock/ Scentblocker is not in mynear future.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 PM

I didn't believe the hype when they came out. Then I read Michael Corrigan's article and that was all I needed to see.

Shower with scent eliminating soap. Wash your clothes in scent eliminating soap and hunt the wind.

Plus that stuff is so darn hot, I would melt inside one of those suites.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Spike

What do you expect anytime a "expert" tells you that they couldn't get game w/o a certin product you had better beware.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM

I've never bought any of it b/c every university and lab study that I've read on carbon absorbing odors says this:

-Carbon fills up. Its like a glass, it can only hold so much.

-The heat needed to "reactivate" carbon is well beyond the temps. a house hold dryer can produce.

So, in reality, unless you buy a new suit every time you hunt. You are going to smell. JMO
Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Folks wear these because they think they know how good the deer's sense of smell is. And they want to try to tip the odds on their side.

I believe most people have no clue how good that big old buck can smell.

When he cuts your track where you entered or left your stand, he knew you were there! Those tiny molecules you left behind as you unknowingly touched a small branch or leaves with your hands is all ittakes. He can smell more than 100 times better than a dog. And you think you're Scent Lok is gonna make a difference?

I know hunters that always wear rubber boots because they believe it's better than leather, yet they never think to put on gloves while they put on their boots. They have transfered that odor from their hands/fingers to their boots.

Another piece of advice from a friend...find the nearest stream and walk in the cold water to remove scent collected on your boots.

Bottom line.....If you want to wear Scent Lok hunting clothers...good luck to ya. I hope they help.

But if hunters really understood the deer' sense of smell, they would have a much better appreciation.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Folks wear these because they think they know how good the deer's sense of smell is. And they want to try to tip the odds on their side.

I believe most people have no clue how good that big old buck can smell.

When he cuts your track where you entered or left your stand, he knew you were there! Those tiny molecules you left behind as you unknowingly touched a small branch or leaves with your hands is all ittakes. He can smell more than 100 times better than a dog. And you think you're Scent Lok is gonna make a difference?

I know hunters that always wear rubber boots because they believe it's better than leather, yet they never think to put on gloves while they put on their boots. They have transfered that odor from their hands/fingers to their boots.

Another piece of advice from a friend...find the nearest stream and walk in the cold water to remove scent collected on your boots.

Bottom line.....If you want to wear Scent Lok hunting clothers...good luck to ya. I hope they help.

But if hunters really understood the deer' sense of smell, they would have a much better appreciation.

Great post. I agree 100%.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe in ScentLoc about as much as I believe in Santa Claus, but it's a great money maker!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 PM

I too am a former infantryman. And I was a battalion NBC officer for a time. The Military suits are not as refined as the ScentLok version. They have a much higher concentration of charcoal in them and are also very messy leaving a coat of coal on you like you just wrestled inside of a BBQ bag. The concept of the military version is that the molecules from nerve or BIO agents "bind" to the charcoal dust, preventing contact with the wearer's skin. In concept, it should work the other way around. I have also invested in a suit combo. This was mainly for the purposes of early bow season hunting when it is can still get to the mid-seventies in a stand. So with the sweat pouring off of me, a layer to absorb the sweat and odor can't be bad. I haven't seen a great deal of difference, but I also have to agree with some of my fellow posters that fundamental scent control techniques are still more important. Something I am trying to refine in myself.

Quick Reply: Do you believe in ScentLok?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.